What yokes from other brands will fit the Sherwood SR1 1st stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
To cut a long (and embarrasing) story short, a full kitted up scuba unit fell from a bench on the boat and the threads on the yoke (and perhaps some on the 1st stage itself but hopefully not) got stripped. Yoke was tightened back onto the 1st stage body. No leaks. Seemed fine on the next dive (very shallow of less than 10 feet) other than a very slight leak which was assumed to require more tightening but upon a tank change, the whole yoke flew out upon pressurization.

So now the question is, other than a Sherwood yoke, are there yokes from other manufacturers which are of the same thread and will fit? I'm asking this because I see some old yokes lying around in some shops and it'll help if I could ask for specific ones. The only other brand I have are HOG ones and the HOGs are way too big.

To cut a long (and embarrasing) story short, a full kitted up scuba unit fell from a bench on the boat and the threads on the yoke (and perhaps some on the 1st stage itself but hopefully not) got stripped. Yoke was tightened back onto the 1st stage body. No leaks. Seemed fine on the next dive (very shallow of less than 10 feet) other than a very slight leak which was assumed to require more tightening but upon a tank change, the whole yoke flew out upon pressurization.

So now the question is, other than a Sherwood yoke, are there yokes from other manufacturers which are of the same thread and will fit? I'm asking this because I see some old yokes lying around in some shops and it'll help if I could ask for specific ones. The only other brand I have are HOG ones and the HOGs are way too big.

Since you have damaged threads on the yoke nut, it is quite unlikely that the 1st stage body is not also damaged. I would be looking for a replacement 1st stage.

You also may have LP and/or HP hose damage, depending on exactly where on the reg the impact occurred, and it may or may not be obvious visually but be hidden damage that may rear it's ugly head at a bad time, like a LP hose blowout where you're at 100' . I'd consider replacing some/all hoses too.

Your SR1 your is now scrap brass and parts. I just looked at the manual for it (don't have any first hand experience) but it's yoke design is like the Scubapro MK-5 and 10s, the yoke is held in the body by a retainer nut which also holds the filter. If that came out, either at the time of the accident or worse after you put it back in, then there is MAJOR damage to at least the yoke retainer and at best compromised strength of the threads in the body. Your first stage needs to be destroyed (smashed or filled with epoxy) to prevent it from being used again, "repairing" it and returning it to service would be risky.

Look on the bright side, now you can get rid of that creeptastic SR1. :wink:

Hey! Been a while! :D

Oh well, I guess that's an excuse for me to go all HOG then.

In my defense, I did have one butt cheek against the rig but the wake from a passing boat was just too much for one butt cheek to handle. :p

---------- Post added December 18th, 2014 at 09:28 PM ----------

Well, to the diehard SR1 lovers out there, if you want one in perfect condition other than the ruined threads and don't mind covering shipping (I'm in Malaysia), drop me a message. That 1st stage had only seen a few tens of dives.

There's no way you could have held it. It decided that suicide was the way to stop hearing all of the negative comments. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom