Scubapro-are my regs worn out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smoore

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I and my wife have the following Scubapro regs that we purchased in 1990:
G250/Mk 10;
G200/Mk200;
2 Air 2s (second generation)

I am being told that the chrome coatings are coming off of some of the internal components exposing the brass which in some cases is getting pitted. I am being told that I should probably replace the regs in the next two years. I have serviced the regs every year but I have changed dive shops several times (all authorized Scubapro dealers). I am pretty sure I have all of the receipts back to 1991. The regs are not shown as registered for parts for life but I think I have enough proof to get them back into the program. I suspect that I have been paying for parts for years but I have to look at my service invoices.

The question is if the regs are covered by parts for life is the wear now evident covered by the warranty or the parts for life program? Even if they are should I be looking at new regs anyway given that my regs are 25 years old. I only do tropical diving once or twice a year and never do more than 25 dives a year.

Thanks for your help. .

not sure about the warranty, don't follow Scubapro, but I wouldn't worry about replacing them, as long as you're only diving light nitrox mixes with them *sub 36%*, it really isn't worth worrying about some chrome loss. Isn't functional.

Depends on what parts have the chrome coming off.

I think chrome coming off inside the 1st stage could be problematic, but the air barrel in the 2nd stage is replaceable and pretty cheap (50 bucks).

Your regulators are not worn out. Chrome plating makes a reg look pretty and does a good job of protecting the soft brass from easily scratching, but is not necessary for proper function. I have even older regulators with more brass than chrome showing on critical sealing surfaces and they are working just fine. I suspect your shop just wants to get in your wallet. The problem is they could make them fail with the slip of an o-ring pick and you would be SOL. How far do you think they will go to sell you new regulators?

Your regulators may be covered under the limited life-time warranty. It is different than free parts for life. Do you think your 25 year old regs problem are a result of use (wear & tear) or manufactures defect?
If you think it's a defect, then send it back to Scubapro. If a unit can no longer be service, then Scubapro has a very generous trade-in/upgrade program. I believe the Mk200 may be eligible.

G250/Mk 10;
G200/Mk200;

I am being told that the chrome coatings are coming off of some of the internal components exposing the brass which in some cases is getting pitted. I am being told that I should probably replace the regs in the next two years. I have serviced the regs every year but I have changed dive shops several times (all authorized Scubapro dealers). I am pretty sure I have all of the receipts back to 1991. The regs are not shown as registered for parts for life but I think I have enough proof to get them back into the program. I suspect that I have been paying for parts for years but I have to look at my service invoices.

The question is if the regs are covered by parts for life is the wear now evident covered by the warranty or the parts for life program? Even if they are should I be looking at new regs anyway given that my regs are 25 years old. I only do tropical diving once or twice a year and never do more than 25 dives a year.

Thanks for your help. .

They keep changing the "parts for life" program, but in any case, the parts you need are easily replaceable and even if you pay, will be much less expensive than new regulators.

Also, yours are metal inside, which a lot of people like much better than the current generation of plastic parts. I have an SP Mk1 from the 60's that still works beautifully.

flots.

G250/Mk 10;
G200/Mk200;

...should I be looking at new regs anyway given that my regs are 25 years old. I only do tropical diving once or twice a year and never do more than 25 dives a year.

Thanks for your help. .

1. The person who told you that you will need to replace your regulators within two years is at best grossly incompetent and should put down his tools and step away from the repair bench, and at worst is lying to you in order to make a sale. Why would you need to replace a regulator that still has service parts available for it??? Sheesh.

2. The only reason to replace your regulators would be if you wanted something new and shiny (which is fine). But there is a very good chance that you'd experience buyers remorse when you realized that the shiny new regulators offers no improvements over your current regulators.

Keep your regs.

Change your dive shop.

Best wishes.

Keep in mind that service parts and warranty parts aren't the same thing.

Yes those regs are completely worn out and are junk. Scubapro has changed numbers on their regs several times since then, and every time they do that you're supposed to go buy the next version because the prior versions are no good anymore and can kill you.
Please send them to me so I can dispose of them properly.

I have seen & serviced many MK10's (most belong to FD Public safety dive teams). The biggest area of wear that I have seen is a weakening of the main spring. For a while, it can be corrected with the addition of tension shims, but eventually the springs have to be replaced. As long as the 1st stage holds IP,... there is no reason to replace,.... unless you just decide you want to. The chances of a sudden failure, due to wear, on a dive are very small, since the most stress put on a regulator, is when it is first energized from the cylinder.

Back
Top Bottom