Conshelf 21 Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skubabob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello SB, New to this Site and think it's a Great Site. I have diving for 24 years in the Boston Area. I Bought my US Divers Conshelf 21 Regs ( 2 setups ) New in 1990. I do about 15 to 25 dive a year. I keep the Service up regularly and have no problems with them. My question is, are they still considered good regulators being that old and I would like to add a computer to the setups. And if I was to get new regs what are some of the most popular one out there. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance

Anecdotes: I used my Conshelf 21 set for several hundred dives and still use it as my completely redundant alternate air source.
When not using complete redundancy, my alternate second stage is a Conshelf 21.
The only reason I have a different reg is that I got a really good deal when I wanted a second set.

Opinions: Most regulators from the major manufacturers are fine with age, as long as you can still get them serviced/tuned properly. The service parts kits are still available for the Conshelf series and there are lots of techs who are quite familiar with the regs.
Newer regs sometimes have bells and whistles to appeal to the market, but physics hasn’t changed since the first Conshelf, and I will continue to use my 21’s.

Yes, they are still considered by divers who understand how regulators work to be a good regulator. The first stage in particular is excellent. And all parts are still available for the first REGARDLESS of what some ding bat tells you at a retail dive store.

The second stages are plastic, I prefer the XIV brass second stages but again, there is nothing to servicing these out of the ordinary and as long as they are not cracked (at the hose fitting for example), you should continue to use them.

N

I agree, the Conshelf first stage is one of the best ever made and can hold it's own against anything new, parts and service are readily available and will be for many more years so there is no reason at all to replace it. The plastic second stages are problematic due to cracking and they are not the best breathing...not bad mind you but there are better ones....and one other issue with them, the port plug on the side is very prone to cracking and not currently available, many regs are being trashed because of that, or so a LDS tells me....but replacements may be available at Vintage Double Hose in a month or 2.
If it were me, I would service them and go dive. If the second stages are cracked, then buy a different second stage....either a new model of some kind or get some good condition metal Conshelfs off ebay, service them and dive.

Thanks Guys for input on this, your thoughts were spot on with what I was thinking. I just came back from diving in Bahamas and a Guy on the Boat had all this fancy new micro something or other gear with all the Bells and whistles and was telling me I should upgrade. I told him My setup was older than he was and probably last longer than his. The Owner of the Dive shop I go told me the same as you guys too. He said it's really hard to tell if the new Second Stages breath better than the old ones. you'll notice that New gear is more streamlined. So far I have no Cracks in the Second Stages of my 2 setups and if they do I'll just replace them.

A neighbor gave me a Conshelf 21 along with a whole box of other regs/gear (I have great neighbors!).
I put a kit in it myself and it's my normal go to reg I use for just about everything now. It gets used before all my newer Scubapro regs and my newest Hog reg, if that tells you anything.
If I was only allowed to have one 1st stage for the rest of my life it would be my Conshelf 21.
However, I do use a 1998 Scubapro G200B 2nd stage on it.

I also dive with Conshelf 21 & have a SE2 that I bought brand new in 1990 and have never had any issues. I also dive in the New England Waters & take my regs to the Caribbean once a year. I log in at about 20 - 25 dives a year using this gear. My 2nd Stages have no Cracks in them either and I don't think they are available new any more. so would just replace the Second Stage. I would like to replace with XIV ( just to keep in same Vintage ) if I can find a good used one online and have it rebuilt. I read some place that they reproduced them so they are available under X14. Don't know if it's True ??? Does any one have any suggestions as what replacement 2nd Stage I should get if need be ??? One Other Note to skubabob, Pay no attention to comments or looks from people cause you use Older gear. This Sport isn't a " Keep up with the Jones Sport ". If you Trust & take care of your Gear and have it serviced regularly it will last a lifetime.

I also dive with Conshelf 21 & have a SE2 that I bought brand new in 1990 and have never had any issues. I also dive in the New England Waters & take my regs to the Caribbean once a year. I log in at about 20 - 25 dives a year using this gear. My 2nd Stages have no Cracks in them either and I don't think they are available new any more. so would just replace the Second Stage. I would like to replace with XIV ( just to keep in same Vintage ) if I can find a good used one online and have it rebuilt. I read some place that they reproduced them so they are available under X14. Don't know if it's True ??? Does any one have any suggestions as what replacement 2nd Stage I should get if need be ??? One Other Note to skubabob, Pay no attention to comments or looks from people cause you use Older gear. This Sport isn't a " Keep up with the Jones Sport ". If you Trust & take care of your Gear and have it serviced regularly it will last a lifetime.
You can still get an all metal Conshelf 2nd stage.
This would be the last second stage you would ever need.
Aqua Lung Conshelf XIV Regulator 1st/2nd Stage Supreme 1088-00

I have a USD Conshelf supreme regulator SE2. it has small lcracks around the low pressure inlet hose. is it possible to get a new one or replacement?

Back
Top Bottom