Apeks tec3 left/right - need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrei_c

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi, guys!

just bought a nice pack of apeks 3tec - for my future cave courses- but now I have to admit that I'm a little bit confused. Left and right 1st stages? Ok, logic, not big deal, can do it. Left and right handed 2nd stages sounds great but... how should I route the hoses? I think one of the 2nd stages hoses (the one of the secondary's) will go over the left shoulder. But in this case, it will not be interfering some how with the wing's corugated hose/inflator? I would like to keep the "left/right" 2nd config but not figured out how to do it.

Could you help me with this, please?
Pictures, drawing etc will be more than appreciated.

Right post - Long hose and wing inflator hose

Left post - bungied 2nd, Gauge and drysuit hose.

You will get a kink in the wing inflator hose and the hose for the bungies 2nd, however, it shouldn't be a problem.

Forgot to mention, this way your long hose and wing are secured from accidental roll off. You have redundant gas-supply for both breathing and buoyancy compensation (if using a drysuit) and your gauge (if correct hose length) will sit neatly to your left hip.

Thanks, Imla! Highly appreciated!

I saw some configurations on which the hoses are crossed behind the neck - the long hose conected on the left 1st stage and the bungied 2nd to the right. Actually, my concern was regarding the bungied, more exactly because its hose coming from left side. That's why I asked about a possible "fight" with the wing inflator.

---------- Post added December 21st, 2014 at 12:06 PM ----------

And thank you Dr.Lecter!
I saw that post before and it helped me to make an ideea about all this. Again, my question was about the right and left 2nds and the hoses coming from left and right. In all materials and pictures posted on different sites/forums, both 2nds have hoses coming from right side.
thanks again and hope I don't look really stupid

Yes.. the bungied 2nd and wing hose will cross on the back of your neck. This is unfortunately unavoidable if you want to ensure redundancy with your doubles. The reason for not having the long hose on the left post is in case of sharing gas in a restriction, with OOGdiver behind you, you run a theoretical risk of roll off of the left post. Having the long hose on the right post ensures that the OOGdiver (that cannot reach your valves) will be ensured gas.

Thanks Imla. Got the point.
It seems I have to change the bungied 2nd's hose with one even shorter than the one provided with the tec3 kit. That for being able to keep the left handed on it

you will have to shorten in. You can use the original one in one of two instances. You reverse your secondary and run it down underneath your shoulder to an angle adapter and up to the necklace, or you aren't using the long hose and use it on your primary.

The hose is included for the second option since not all divers use long hoses outside of overhead environments.

Standard hose lengths are listed in the FKD site, also on Dive Gear Expresses site, and the GUE Equipment configuration. Secondary is typically 22-24, I prefer 22 with an angle adapter to reduce the bending of the hose, I use them on my primary as well.

Thanks Tbone!
I think I'll go for the long hose on the first (big thanks for the angle adapter ideea) and a "custumized" hose for the back up

angle adapters aren't necessary for most people, but here in the states they are quite inexpensive and as I have a very long torso the extra few inches gained by using them helps the long hose to sit properly. The 7' hose is a bit better than the 2m hose used in Europe which won't reach my waist strap, but the 7' still is a bit tight without an angle adapter. I would start with the standard GUE recommended hose lengths and go from there as needed.

Got it, Tbone! Thanks again!
I think the 2m hose is ok for me - just 1.78 m high (don't now exactly how many feet is this :blinking:) and 77 kg. I went through the GUE standard and a lot of other materials dedicated to tec/cave diving and equipment config and made an idea. As I sad before, my confusion came (and to be honest, I'm still in the fog) from the fact that Apeks tec3 has a 2nd stage with the hose coming from the left side. In all materials/pictures I've seen, both 2nds have the hoses coming from right side - which make sense. Anyway, I sent a message to Apks support department and I'm very curios about their explanations.

Back
Top Bottom