Only 1 HP port now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wicket

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm new to all this stuff and my LDS sold me on the Aeris Ion setup. Well its been okay but after my last trip and having my computer fail I want to add a backup gauge. Today at a different LDS i was told the first stage only has 1 HP port. So my question is can I add some kind of splitter to run my transmitter and the hose or do I need a new regulator? Can I just get another 1st stage with more ports? Sorry for the newbie question but I've had two different answers at different LDS's now.

Keep the guage and hose in your gear bag and if the transmitter fails call the dive and swap to the guage when before your next dive. Loosing your transmitter on a NDL dive is bad but it does not change how much air you have in your tank if you are keeping tabs on how much air you have regularly than it shouldnt be more than a few hundred psi off of what it was last time just surface and cuss the transmitter when you get back on the boat.

Yes you can change 1st stages. Since it doesn't appear that Aeris makes a 2HP port 1st stage, go with an Oceanic or Hollis - it's the same company. Aeris is being absorbed into Oceanic now anyway. An FDX-10 is probably similar to yours but with two HP ports. http://www.leisurepro.com/p-ocnfdx10o/oceanic-fdx10-dvt-regulator-1st-stage-only

Or just get a port splitter - XS Scuba makes one. Make sure you get the HP model.
XS Scuba Hose Adapters P/N AC906 near the bottom.
Omniswivel makes one also: https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/adapters_osi.shtml

DGX also sells some nice small brass/glass gauges. https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/spgsonly.shtml

I found myself in the same situation a couple of years ago (single HP port regulator) and ended up getting an OmniSwivel HP Swivel Y-Block. https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/adapters_osi.shtml. This allowed me to have transmitter and SPG for backup. While not the prettiest set up, it works just fine and is significantly less expensive than purchasing a new (2 HP port/4 LP port) reg. While you may end up buying a new reg down the road, take your time and get what you want as opposed to what someone thinks you should buy. But if you have a bunch of loose cash burning a hole in your pocket, buy the best you can afford after weighing data from SB, dive buddies and product reviews.

my LDS sold me on the Aeris Ion setup. Well its been okay but after my last trip and having my computer fail I want to add a backup gauge. Today at a different LDS i was told the first stage only has 1 HP port. So my question is can I add some kind of splitter to run my transmitter and the hose or do I need a new regulator? . . . I've had two different answers at different LDS's now.
The Ominiswivel HP Y-block, as ontdiver mentioned, is a good approach. The trade-off (there are really no 'solutions' to most problems, only trade-offs) is that the hose routing may end up being (or appearing to be) just a bit less than optimally streamlined. That really isn't a significant issue, and the Y block is fully functional and much less expensive than purchasing another first stage (and Dive Gear Express is a great vendor with which to do business). I am not sure why you would get different answers from different LDS outlets, unless one of them simply wanted to sell you another first stage. I ALWAYS discuss ports - their number and position on the first stage - with divers considering there first regulator purchase, because of this very consideration.

Many divers do not find a need for two HP ports, although the number that do is growing, as more divers acquire computers with wireless air integration. I looked at the Aeris website, and had to chuckle at one of the bulleted features listed for the Ion:
  • 4 LP ports, 1 HP ports for maximum hose placement
I am not sure what the Aeris definition of 'maximum hose placement' is. I suspect it is not the same as mine (or yours at this point). :) But, you have had a valuable lesson - relying solely on wireless air integration is probably unwise. I love it for convenience - I only have to rotate my wrist to check my gas supply - except, of course, when my transmitter loses sync, or the battery fails, or ... . My primary pressure monitor is always my SPG.

Why attempt to accommodate an unreliable piece of equipment by carrying a second more reliable piece of equipment when all you really need is the more reliable piece and s-can the Ion thingy that is not reliable thereby reducing your equipment profile complexity and likelihood of equipment failure, such as you already have experienced.

Adding layers of equipment does not make up for inherently unreliable equipment. Eliminating unreliable equipment is the better path.

N

I think the one LDS was trying to sell me a new setup. As stuartv said for 65.00 I'm okay spending a bit more and getting something I can grow with. As for s-can the ion I didn't have any problems with the Ion other than one HP port. It was with my atom 3.1 I love having it on my wrist and I was trying to ditch one hose. After using some rental stuff I'm okay with adding the hose and having the computer also.

Why attempt to accommodate an unreliable piece of equipment by carrying a second more reliable piece of equipment when all you really need is the more reliable piece and s-can the Ion thingy that is not reliable thereby reducing your equipment profile complexity and likelihood of equipment failure, such as you already have experienced.

My transmitter is more reliable than my SPG. Never had a single signal loss, and the readings are more accurate.

I would go with a new first stage...only having 1 HP port is pretty crappy. Especially if you go into doubles eventually, you'll need more port options for routing. I would want 2 HP ports and 4 LP ports at a minimum.

So I'm new to all this stuff and my LDS sold me on the Aeris Ion setup. Well its been okay but after my last trip and having my computer fail I want to add a backup gauge. Today at a different LDS i was told the first stage only has 1 HP port. So my question is can I add some kind of splitter to run my transmitter and the hose or do I need a new regulator? Can I just get another 1st stage with more ports? Sorry for the newbie question but I've had two different answers at different LDS's now.
BTW, did your computer fail, or just the wireless AI?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom