Edge Epic Cold in ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mullannix930

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how the Epic Cold has done in water near the freezing point. It seems like it may be my next reg and I am wanting some feedback on people who have used it in the cold.

It should be fine under the ice. Realize that ice diving the water is going to be 36 -38 degrees unless it's salt water then it may get lower temp wise. Once a lake freezes over the ice actually acts as an insulator and keeps the temp above freezing. I've used my HOG's under the ice and the Epic 1st stage is the HOG D2 with a different finish.

what Jim said, similar design to the Apeks DS4 as well which is quite regularly used under the ice. Most sealed diaphragms perform about the same, which is well

I'm looking to replace my Mares MR12DFC with the Epic Cold. I want the ability to do the diving in the winter in KY. I have been told that the MR12 won't do it without the cold kit, and the only LDS in my area wants $150 for the kit then the cost for a full service, total about $225. Figure a new reg may be needed.

certainly won't hurt, Dive Right in Scuba has some good prices on them.
Hog D1 Regulator Set - Dive Right in Scuba
If you have access to DIN tanks, much better deal on the D1

I would call up DRIS to discuss your options with them. They are a Mares dealer and may be able to give you a better price on the kit and installation. They also are a HOG/Edge dealer as tbone pointed out. If you are set on the Edge Epic, Jim Lapenta is also a HOG/EDGE dealer.

I have a few Edge Epic Cold first stages, and I routinely take them down to ~38 degrees F. Like the above posts, no problems at all.

Back
Top Bottom