Sherwood Oasis second is supposed to trail bubbles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Short version:

A LDS says that an older Sherwood Oasis second stage should have a tiny stream of bubbles coming from it, otherwise it needs a rebuild. True? Or BS?

Long version:

A buddy of mine hasn't been diving in a few years, but we are meeting in Hawaii in March and planning to dive while there. So, he is being smart and got all his gear out of the closet and took it to his LDS to get serviced. His LDS has changed owners since he was last there, so he doesn't know the guy who is running it now. He primary second stage is a Sherwood Oasis that he has had for years (not really sure how long, but I'll guess 10 or more).

The guy at the LDS told him that those should trail a tiny stream of bubbles and if his doesn't, it will need a full rebuild, versus just an ordinary service. My buddy is a very meticulous person. He said that when he was diving before, he and his buddy would ALWAYS do a leak check on each other as soon as they got in the water, and that this reg never had any bubbles coming off it before (obviously, other than his exhaust). So, he's skeptical of what the guy at the LDS told him.

Do any of you know about the Sherwood Oasis and whether the LDS is telling him the truth or just setting him up for a nice New Customer Fee?

Thanks!

The first stage is supposed to have a tiny flow of bubbles.

Some of the first stages from Sherwood have what is called a drybleed system on them. It will look like a black rubber cap near one of the LP ports, this is how they have chosen to environmentally seal the piston first stages. It works very well. No second stage is supposed to bleed to my knowledge.

Also, "ordinary service" should mean full rebuild.... If they aren't fully rebuilding it you're getting ripped off. All first and second stages should be completely disassembled and cleaned, so there is no difference between the two.

Aha. Okay, so does the first stage bleed the whole time you're down? Or just when you first get in and then it quits?

---------- Post added January 27th, 2015 at 11:23 AM ----------

Also, regarding service vs rebuild, are you saying that, if the 1st stage is not trailing bubbles like it's supposed to, a normal service should fix that? I thought there were parts inside a 1st stage that would not normally be replaced, but that COULD need to be replaced if the reg wasn't cleaned and stored properly (as one example).

The Sherwoods 1st with the Drybeed System constantly bleed a small trail of bubbles as long as the 1st stage is under pressure. If it is not it needs to be serviced.

OP, the 1st stage----not the one in your mouth....:)......Bet you meant the one on the tank, right??.....

Evad got it right (see above). I own such a regulator and the brief owner's manual supports what Evad said.

OP, the 1st stage----not the one in your mouth....:)......Bet you meant the one on the tank, right??.....

No. I said what I meant. And I know the difference between 1st and 2nd stage. :) But, either my friend told me wrong, I heard him wrong, or he didn't specify 1st or 2nd and I just assumed. At this point, I'm not sure which. Regardless, I am straight now and have let him know what your collective wisdom is. :D

!st stage emits small bubbes when functioning properly..That said, I understand that Sherwood no longer supports the older 1st stages. If dry bleed is not operating properly the piston needed to be replaced as 99.9% of the time a ultra sound cleaning will not fix it..replacement pistons no longer available. Sherwood may be trying to outsource this but do not hold your breath about it..

Aha. Okay, so does the first stage bleed the whole time you're down? Or just when you first get in and then it quits?

---------- Post added January 27th, 2015 at 11:23 AM ----------

Also, regarding service vs rebuild, are you saying that, if the 1st stage is not trailing bubbles like it's supposed to, a normal service should fix that? I thought there were parts inside a 1st stage that would not normally be replaced, but that COULD need to be replaced if the reg wasn't cleaned and stored properly (as one example).

The reg 1st stage bleeds air from the time you open the tank valve until you turn it off. And before you worry about wasted air, the bleed is 13 to 17 cc/min, that is roughly .03 cuft/hour. Sherwood used air to environmentally seal the reg instead of filling it with grease.

Normal service is more checking and adjusting, once you have to pull it apart I believe it is better to rebuild, since all the parts are new, you won't be back into it to replace the part you didn't replace last time. Get the 1st rebuilt because water has been inside the 1st stage where it shouldn't be, and after sitting unused with this condition there is probably damage. The good news is after a rebuild you will have a good as new reg. As for the 2nd stage, I'd be surprised if there anything wrong with it, have it serviced and you are good to go.

Oh, by the way, you may have found a good tech. He was straightforward about the problem and how to fix it, and did not say the reg was junk and try to sell you a new reg set.

Bob
--------------------------------------
I swear its not hoarding dear, I'm just keeping an adequate stock of equipment and parts. It's life support, you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom