Opinions about IP creep before trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmcdds

Contributor
Reaction score
My family and I are heading for Roatan next week. While I was checking out our equipment I noticed my wife's Apeks ATX50 (DST) has developed some IP creep. The IP initially locks up at about 135psi then creeps up to 150psi in about an hour and then locks up there. I'm out of first stage sevice kits and its unlikely my LDS can get it serviced before I leave. What does everyone think, should I take it with and dive it or should I bring the spare reg and use that instead.

Thanks for your opinions.

If it creeps for an hour, its a slow leak. It should be OK for a recreational dive trip. I would bring the spare reg with you on the trip, and see if you can get a HP seat before you leave.

Do this test to set your mind at ease: Leave your reg charged on a cylinder all night long. Check the IP at the beginning and at the end. If it doesnt go up past 150, then its probably fine.

LUBOLD8431:
If it creeps for an hour, its a slow leak. It should be OK for a recreational dive trip. I would bring the spare reg with you on the trip, and see if you can get a HP seat before you leave.

Do this test to set your mind at ease: Leave your reg charged on a cylinder all night long. Check the IP at the beginning and at the end. If it doesnt go up past 150, then its probably fine.
Not necessarily true!

You MUST make sure that both second stages (and lp connection) are not venting any gas.

2nd stages act as OP releases.. Put it on a Tank and submerge it, make sure all gas is out of the 2nd stages, watch for bubbles, if you dont see any you are still not out of the woods, check back in a few hours, and see if any gas is now trapped in the seconds... If there is any I wouldn't dive it, the pressure isnt stable and is being maintained by the second stage..

My opinion (and you know what they say about opinions) is that a creep that slow won't even be noticed on a dive, as each breath will bring the IP back down to the 135 initial lockup pressure or below.
However... if it's creeping now, it's only gonna get worse, and it's only a matter of time before it's at an unacceptable rate. My plan would be to take a spare along with it.
'Course you can always try the flip-the-seat trick. (who said that?)
Rick

I'd tend to lean toward the opinion that if the leak is slow it isn't locking up at 150 psi at all but rather slowly venting the air out one of the second stages once that pressure is reached.

Little leaks eventually turn into big leaks and how long this takes depends on what is going on with the seat and hard sealing surface. It could last for several dives or it could get big on the next dive. If at all possible I'd have it serviced before leaving. If you can't get it serviced, take the spare instead.

Thanks everyone for your input, but as it turns out the problem is solved. I dug thru my service kits again and found one (its funny how much easier is it for me to find things at 9:00AM as opposed to 1:00AM) so I spent an hour at the kitchen table this morning with the reg and it now locks up just like its supposed to.

mmcdds:
Thanks everyone for your input, but as it turns out the problem is solved. I dug thru my service kits again and found one (its funny how much easier is it for me to find things at 9:00AM as opposed to 1:00AM) so I spent an hour at the kitchen table this morning with the reg and it now locks up just like its supposed to.
way to go! that's why we dive our own equipment-we know it's going to work :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom