Best regulator for tech and cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Will probably do a Tec 40/45/50 course and a cave diving course soon.

Is there one that would cover both?

TIA.

I don't think there is an "approved" regulator for tech or cave diving. The more popular brands are Apeks, Scubapro, Dive Rite, and Hog. You will need DIR length hoses on the regs and DIN fittings though. Samples: G260/MK-18, S600/MK-25, Apeks XTX50/DST or DS4. Your best bet would be to talk to your instructor.

Ask Lamar Hires, he'll say his Dive Rite XT regulators
Ask Edd Sorenson he'll say Hog D3
Jeff Loflin, Hollis
Steve Boegarts, Apeks
Jarrod Jablonski, Halcyon *rebranded Scubapros*

Me, Poseidon

All depends on personal preference
https://www.globalunderwaterexplorers.org/equipment/config
There's a good list of approved equipment and the how and why's GUE has chosen the regulators they have. Apeks are probably the "standard", Hog/Hollis/Dive Rite have copied their designs, Scubapro leans towards piston designs, the rest on diaphragms. You can't really go wrong with any of the major brands, if DIY service is a priority, which is for most tech/cave divers, then unfortunately that does limit your selection a little bit, mainly Hog *if you want a service course to get certified this is the only one that you can take without being associated with a shop*, Dive Rite doesn't publish repair manuals anymore but parts are still available, Poseidon is the same as Dive Rite but manuals for all of their regulators are available online, Scubapro/Halcyon/Apeks/Hollis are pretty anal about their parts kits, so are rather difficult to source outside of gray market *Hollis can be acquired from Dive Gear Express*

Lots of related threads on regulator decisions, hard to go wrong with any of them, the Hog D1/Classic sets for around $200 are getting scarce and won't be lasting much longer due to recent price hikes, and getting a full doubles set for around $500 is tough to beat.
Cave Adventurers - HOG D1 w/ 2nd Stage Combo - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Pair of those for $400, $80 for an SPG and another $50 or so for some hoses and you're good to go.

If sidemount is in your future then this is a better deal and all you'd need is a longer HP hose to switch it over to doubles and good to go
Cave Adventurers - Hog Sidemount Regulator Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Your best bet would be to talk to your instructor.

Kind of wanted to get them before I go.
I will check out some apeks.
Thanks.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2015 at 01:22 PM ----------

Me, Poseidon

On the Poseidon website it says that their regs are only good UP TO 21% O2 which seemed strange.

The Cyklon, Jetstream and Xstream Deep are certified and approved with gas mixes that contains a maximum of 21% oxygen.

Thank you I will check out those deals.

They only approve of them to air, but everyone uses them with normal nitrox mixes with no issues, it's a legal CYOA thing since they use a silicone based lubricant in manufacturing. No different than any other regulator, they are just being Swedish.... They breathe very different than normal regulators so keep that in mind, and for sidemount the first stages aren't optimal since they don't have the swivel turret. The sidemount regulator package from Cave Adventurers can't be beat for price/performance and are what I use for my stage bottles *and also use the first stages on backgas with Poseidon second stages*

Edit:
This is in response to your PM which is best left out here for any other comments.
Cave Adventurers - HOG D3 w/ Zenith Sidemount Regulator Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Package in question, same basic package as the D1's, just the new design. Slightly different second stage case design, mainly cosmetic, slightly different first stage design, again mostly cosmetic. Slight performance changes in each of these from the D1/Classic, but none that really effect performance that you would notice. These regulators are made in the same factory as those by Dive Rite and Hollis, most of the parts are disturbingly similar, and their reputation is very good in the technical diving world. Many divers, myself included, were plagued with soft parts problems early on, but those have been remedied, and every dive manufacturer has suffered from these types of problems at some point, mainly HP seat quality in the first stage causing premature failure and IP creep. If the extra $100 is worth it to you for the aesthetics, then go with the D3, the main difference is the extended first stage turret which allows the hoses to swivel towards the DIN screw which most diaphragm first stages with turrets do not allow, this was at the request of Edd. For the price they are only beat by the D1/Classics, but the quality is there, combine that with the fact that with any technical diving cert you can take the TDI repair class and become certified to repair your own regulators, it's pretty much a no-brainer to give them a hard look, especially at about half the price of comparable regulator sets.
Beware, that price will not last much longer as the MAP has gone up significantly, that same package is now listing at $979 at Dive Right in Scuba, and that is where Cave Adventurers will be moving as stock runs out.

Comparable packages
M1 Sidemount Regulator Package - Dive Right in Scuba
Atomic M1-$1500

Nomad Sidemount Regs w/SPG - Dive Right in Scuba
Dive Rite XT $1000

Hollis Sidemount Regulator Package | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
Hollis- $1200

Sidemount Regulator Kit - Dive Right in Scuba
Apeks- $1550

https://www.divegearexpress.com/sidemount/regs.shtml
Zeagle-$1300
Poseidon Jetstream-$1k *subtract $100 for Cyklon, add $100 for Xstream*

DGX is clearing out some old Dive Rite stock, almost identical to the D1/Classic sets for about $600, discontinued part numbers but the parts kits will remain available for a very long time.

Buying sidemount sets up front will save you quite a bit of money in the long run as the reduced cost on the extra first stage and SPG adds up when it comes time to upgrade. If you are planning on backmount doubles only then the sidemount sets still make sense as you only have to buy the longer HP hose and you can use the extra SPG and one of the short hoses on a stage/deco bottle setup.

Last edited:
Apeks DS4/XTX whatever has a cracking adjustment knob if you want diaphragm, cave-ringed Atomic M1 if you want piston.

Lecter, XTX50/100/200 for the second stages, but the DS4's and the DST's *I prefer these for sidemount and doubles due to the turret on sidemount and the fifth port on doubles* generally only come with the XTX50's, to the OP, the difference in 50/100/200 is literally the amount of chrome on the faceplate, they are identical otherwise.

You used to be able to upgrade the TX40 to effectively be a TX50 just by adding the cracking adjustment knob. Not 100% positive that's true of the XTX line, but it likely is. Apeks seconds aren't really my forte, though their DS4 1st stages are used on my rEvo.

You used to be able to upgrade the TX40 to effectively be a TX50 just by adding the cracking adjustment knob. Not 100% positive that's true of the XTX line, but it likely is. Apeks seconds aren't really my forte, though their DS4 1st stages are used on my rEvo.

You can, it is, plus the metal heat exchanger and you have the XTX 50 and up range. Well I know you could with the pre 2013 XTX 20 and 40 so will guess likely the same with the newer XTX also. I don't have a parts listing of the newer range so cannot check to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom