Older Scubapro regulator ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toothy

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

I have an older regulator that I would like to service but don't know the model designation on either stage.

The first has 2 lp ports and 1 hp port and 4 holes around it and the end away from the yoke is slightly concave.

The second is as pictured with a serial # of either 720100 or 220100 but I think it is the first one.

Thanks for any help.

Wade

P5240047 (480x360).jpg

I say you have a MK 2 1st stage and a 108 second stage. A fine setup.

Last edited:
I second that. ^

The first stage is the venerable Mk2. I'm not able to tell if it's 1st or 2nd generation although since the bottom of the 2nd is flat, it's probably a 1st.

1st gen:

1stgenmk2.jpg

2nd gen:

2ndgenmk2.jpg

The 2nd is the 080/108/080 HP

080108.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

I have had this thing for a really long time, probably a mid 70's yard sale score after watching too much Sea Hunt. I can't remember if I have used it or not but I would say yes.

I wanted to get the parts to make it correct and give it a spin, and just in case my newfangled fancy pukes up a hairball. I am a big believer in the KISS theory of things.

Thanks again for the help!

Wade

Thanks Couv,

Great site! I believe I'll have to give it a try myself.

The old man had 2 old double's in the top of the garage back in the day, I hope they are still there. That site has me wanting to test out some real old school gear.

Thanks Wade

toothy,

If you want, take a quick look through my pics and there're a few of a disassembled 108 in there. I'm not sure how these guys can tell the difference from a non adjustable 109 (not doubting them, I just don't know)

boat

Hi Boat,

While the 108 and 109 look a lot alike there are some major differences. There are no "non-adjustable" 109s, in fact the name of the 109 is "The Adjustable." The port that enters the 108 is at an angle (~45 degree) and the poppet assembly is contained in that fitting. The 109 has an air barrel that goes all the way through the second stage body. On one side is the hose connection and the other has the diver adjustable cracking pressure knob.

Internally they are also very different. The 108 uses a classic downstream demand valve, while the 109 has a single adjustment barrel poppet.

Thankfully, the metal covers, band clamps, diaphragms, diaphragm covers are interchangeable.

Couv

Early 108 had a fixed, non-adjustable orifice. Newer models have the same adjustable orifice as is found in most modern SP 2nds. I believe you can tell by the thickness of the "nut" on the demand valve housing (screws into the case). The thin nut is about 1/4 inch thick and has the fixed orifice. The thick nut is almost 1/2 inch thick (I can't find one right now) and takes the adjustable orifice. With the fixed orifice, you could tweak the cracking pressure by adjusting IP a bit after lever height was right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom