O-ring question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rakpix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know this must have been asked & answered once before. But, a search returned only irrelevant threads so ... here goes:

Does anyone here know the durometer and the dimensions of the little o-ring that is hidden inside the female end of a standard low-preassure hose (pictured below?) And do you need any special tools to replace it?

1433649436099998236981.jpg

Thanks!

Likely a 2-010 in size with a durometer of around 75. Nitrile, EPDM and Viton are all commonly used. Just a pointy o-ring pick to get it out. If you end up having to stick the o-ring pick into the o-ring then you have to replace it. Work the new one in with something not sharp like an orange stick.

I don't know what an orange stick is, but I have no problem just stretching a new one over the insert. Removing old ones is best done with a pick with a slight curve at the end. It is commonly known as a #10 o-ring (or 010). And since it is low pressure, duro 70 or 75 is appropriate.

I don't know what an orange stick is, but I have no problem just stretching a new one over the insert. Removing old ones is best done with a pick with a slight curve at the end. It is commonly known as a #10 o-ring (or 010). And since it is low pressure, duro 70 or 75 is appropriate.

Is this considered a dynamic o-ring? I ask, because the only 75 durometer o-rings I've used have been the 003 rings on a high-pressure spindle. Those are dynamic o-rings and have to be lubricated.

Most of the low pressure o-rings I've used (such as the 011 o-ring the male end of a low-pressure hose) are made with 90 durometer.

You've got it backwards. The 003 o-ring on the spindle is definitely a high pressure use and should be 90 duro. Low pressure applications use softer 70 or 75 duro. As for dynamic vs static, the second stage does swivel a bit. I lube those 010 rings, if for no other reason than it makes them much easier to put on.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom