Regulator package + computer for $US750?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colio

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm looking to purchase a set of regulators & computer for myself & my wife. While we aren't that new to diving, we are new to purchasing our own regs etc having always rented in the past.

What we are looking for is first stage, second stage & occy (I think you guys call the Octo's in the US.. funny name!) plus dive computer for normal air. A bit about our diving - we dont dive cold water at all, & we are just recreational open water divers. We aren't thinking of doing any advanced courses or anything - we're more into underwater photography than doing adventure diving etc

I have a friend living in CA who's coming to visit us soon so am going to ask him to purchase for us through an online store & bring downunder to Sydney where we live. Have already worked out that we can save a bundle by purchasing these items in the US - its at least 50 points more expensive here in Oz.

We're looking to spend $US750 a set. We're looking for the best we can get for this price. Anyone have any suggestions? We were looking at Mares at first but there are so many different options, its getting confusing!!

Any help would be appreciated. Thx

Scrap the air computer idea - if you want to get a computer and use it, get a nitrox computer. I know nitrox isn't the cheapest to dive here, but if you ever want to look at extending your NDLs, nitrox is the easiest way. Suunto Gekkos or Vypers are decent computers.

While living in the US I found it was cheaper to buy regs and computers from Europe - either Simply Scuba (www.simplyscuba.com) in the UK, or Dive Inn (www.scubastore.com) in Spain. Don't forget metric versus imperial units if you're buying a computer from the US.

Thanks for your advice Scubaroo. The issue is that we aren't certified to dive with Nitrox & really don't have any interest in doing anymore training at this moment.

The issue with buying from Europe will be the freight. Having someone bring stuff back from the US is going to save me up to $100+ in freight - I'd imagine the same would be from Europe. Plus our dollar is better against the greenback than the Euro, but I'll check those sites out nonetheless.

Thanks

If there's one thing that diver's aren't short on, it's spare air to share opinions. I'll just bubble mine to get us all started... :D

My first opinion is that any money you save on removing bells and whistles from your dive computer is money that you can spend on your real life-support equipment. Like your regulator. If, down the road, you want a more capable computer, you can always upgrade to something self-contained like the Suunto Mosquito.

That said, let's talk regulators. You mentioned Mares, and that's certainly a good way to go. One advantage is that Mares dealers (and service centers) are found almost everywhere in the world, so you won't need to look far if you need repairs or a little help during your travels. The disadvantage of going with Mares is that they tend to be just a little pricey for the performance that you're getting.

I'm personally a Zeagle fan. You can get their rec reg, the Envoy, for about $200. Throw in an octo (occy? what a funny word! :wink: ) for another cool $100 and you still have $450 left over for gauges and a computer.

Or... go Mares. For your diving, the MR12 Proton is probably the best bang for the buck. At $230, it's more than the Zeagle, but the octo is cheaper ($90). Either way, we're still looking good.

Other brands that are worth checking out include Apeks (most of my buddies wouldn't touch anything else, which keeps my octo safe) or Poseidon if you win the lottery. (Hidden costs can kill you, and those things are expensive to service over here.)

On to the gauges and computer. This is where you can really blow your budget. My advice is to start with a basic console, then ask yourself if you really need any of the features that the more expensive ones provide. Keep in mind also that there are far fewer computers than manufacturers - rebranding reigns supreme here. Carefully compare features and prices.

Look at the Oceanic offerings, like the Veo 100. For about $250, you get a decent air computer, SPG, compass, and a diver-replaceable battery. Unfortunately, the really nice-to-have (but ultimately unnecessary) features like air-integration and hoseless air-integration are going to break your budget, unless you buy used.

Good luck!

-Steven

For that kind of money, you could have some great stuff... including the nitrox computer... just for the future. For example, take a V16 Proton (the v16 is far superior to the MR12) toss on an octo, and an aeris 3 gauge nitrox console and you'd still be below 700... Or move up to a Titanium Mares TI Planet, and stick with the 3 gauge Air Computer - and you still wouldn't bust the 750 mark. So your goal is easy... not just figure out what you want.

And since the difference between Nitrox and air computer is about $100 - it would be nice just in case you ever decide to do nitrox. Plus you get additional features like audible alarms, etc. But that would be easy by just picking a good regulator and still have the nitrox computer. Another option would be the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe, nitrox console with compass, and octo for the $750 mark. You should not have any trouble getting the package you want for that price... and even get a full warranty.

Larry & Xevious - thanks for your advice (Larry I got your email reply, thanks). What I am doing now is reading reviews about some of the regulators I am interested in. This has been a little confusing though as everyone seems to have differing opinions about certain regs (but alas, this is the way of the world - everyone seems to have their own opinions about anything you buy!!).

I guess what I have to do is to focus in on certain brands & then choose the models from there otherwise I wont get anywhere!

A few things that you guys may be able to answer for me:

1. Larry, you say everything is covered by warranty which is great. Does this still apply because I will be bringing the items to Oz? Are there certain brands that aren't well supported in Oz?

2. I noticed that your gauges are different to the ones we use down here. Your gauges measure in PSI. We measure air in bars. Do your gauges offer both options?

3. I've read on many forums/sites that the Mares Ti Planet was seriously reduced because they didnt sell well. Are these really a good reg? If so, why didn't they sell?

4. Because we are only diving warm water, should I buy a piston reg? Or will buying a diaphragm reg be good just in case I do decide to dive cold water?

Thanks for your help again.

Colio
-----------------
"If its free, I'll take three"
Sydney, Oz

I'll take 2 and 4 -

2. Yes, you can get metric gauges in the US - you just have to be careful to specify, and depending on where you're ordering from, it might be a special order.

4. I'd recommend an environmentally sealed first stage (balanced diaphragm) simply for robustness and ease of diver maintenance. Ice isn't going to be a problem, but sediment may be. Given the kind of diving you intend to do, I wouldn't let this be the deal breaker, though.

Another suggestion - if you're diving in a friendly group or have friends who dive, see if anyone will let you try their equipment. Back when I was renting, I was fortunate to have had this opportunity, and it is why I went with Zeagle when all of the shops were pushing Mares.

Good luck, and take it easy - that first leap into equipment is always the largest.

-Steven

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom