Sherwood Maximus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Quebec:
I would like your opinions about the Sherwood Maximus...the underarm hose, performance, ect..

Thanx to everybody!

The 1st stage is excellent. The 2nd stage was good in it's time but is ok at best by today's standards and breathes wet. Inverted it breathes like a tidal wave.... The underarm routing is perfect.

If you are buying 2nd hand then keep in mind that some of the Maximus regulators have a recall on the 2nd stage. It's a small problem but should be dealt with.

R..

Diver0001:
The 1st stage is excellent. The 2nd stage was good in it's time but is ok at best by today's standards and breathes wet. Inverted it breathes like a tidal wave.... The underarm routing is perfect.

If you are buying 2nd hand then keep in mind that some of the Maximus regulators have a recall on the 2nd stage. It's a small problem but should be dealt with.

R..

What do you mean by breathes like a tidal wave..??
Sorry I speak mostly speak french and not use to some english terms..loll

thanx for the info

I've had my maximus for a couple years now and really like it. It has performed very well in many conditions, deep and when fighting a current.
It does breathe a little wet and I believe that rotourner just meant that when you're upside down it will breathe very wet. The hose under the arm is very nice compared to the large loop over you're shoulder common with many peoples set ups. There have been times I wish I could run the hose over my shoulder, but more often than not I prefer it under my arm.
Good luck,
Justin

Scuba-Quebec:
What do you mean by breathes like a tidal wave..??
Sorry I speak mostly speak french and not use to some english terms..loll

thanx for the info

It gets a LOT of water inside when you swim on your back or upside down.

R..

I have used the Maximus for about 5 years. I think it performs well and I have not experienced the same wet breathing upside down Diver0001 mentioned. It will get a bit wet in certain positions (as do many, many regulators) but a quick vent and it's gone. I would not characterize it as a tidal wave though. I like the underarm hose routing, the wide bubble dispersion is nice, the 2nd stage adjustment is really nice, etc.

Once I had a slight tear in the mouthpiece (hidden) that caused my reg to breath really wet. I mean every 5 breaths I had to vent water. I soon learned it was a cracked mouth piece and as soon as it was replaced it was fine.

You can check the serial number of the reg to see if it was one of the recalled models (if you buy used). The fix is very simple and will not cost you anything.

--Matt

My experience is the "wetness" was mainly by design due to the moisture retention in the second stage. I loved the underarm hose routing, but didn't like the big mouthpiece. The large exhaust tee does a great job of diverting bubbles from your face, but I always wound up with a bit of an uncomfortable "cool" feeling along my chin after about 30 or 40 minutes into the dive - and I don't dive in waters less than 70 degrees F (Ok - only for a few training dives early in my diving - not since). Mine was one of the recalled ones, local Sherwood authorized dealer fixed it up no problem a few years back when the recall first occured. Since we have now progressed into beginning technical diving, I don't use it much these days, but it's still my wife's favorite for recreational diving.

The only problem I find with the maximus is that it breathes the way it breathes. Some freeflow slightly when the knob is loosened all the way, some won't and there is nothing to be done about it from a service point of view.
Secondly when you consider that it costs you the same for a maximus as it would for an Apeks most people opt for the latter. Better reputation, performance, and environmental protection. Parts for life too.

As for the recall, it was a real long time ago, so I don' think that there are too many left without it.

Yeah, all these people complain of regs breathing wet when upside down. Let's take a vote now. How much time of your dive do you spend upside down? Hmmm...

Back
Top Bottom