stick with HOG for new-to-doubles diver, or switch brands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife and I plan to start diving back-mount doubles on occasion. We have had few to no complaints about our HOG D1/Classic reg sets in diving single tanks. When I bought the reg sets for us a few years ago, the two benefits I saw in HOG were: (1) good performers for the price, and (2) the relative ease with which I could learn to service them. I still haven't taken the service class, but that's on the to-do list. Anyway, now that my wife and I are looking to learn to dive doubles and eventually take cave courses, is there any reason to consider switching to a different brand? The D1/Classic is still a great deal, though there are now other options in the HOG line. They may not be the highest performing regs out there, but will we ever notice? If I didn't have to budget for TWO of everything, I wouldn't hesitate to get Scubapro or Halcyon. (I just bought TWO drysuits!) But I shudder at the thought of the cost of having to get six first stages and eight second stages serviced every year or two.

I've been diving HOG regulators for 3 years and they have yet to need servicing. My oldest Zeagle didn't need servicing for five years and it's on it's third year, post service by me, as well. Why do you pooh-pooh the Hogs?

Last edited:
First of all yes, I sell them. Let me be clear about that. In bought my first set of HOG regs when they first came out. Three years before I became a dealer. I now personally own 9 first stages and over a dozen seconds.

I have had them down to 160 feet in 38 degree water. They've been all over with me. One that I am using as a test has over 350 dives on it and never been rebuilt in 4 years. I've taught a dozen divers to service their own.

I still sell a number of them and send them all over the world.

I have people send them to me from Florida, Hawaii, and Okinawa to service. Many do not require more than an adjustment and cleaning.

As far as performance goes I challenge any recreational diver to tell the difference blindfolded between them and any other reg.

The D1 has been used on dives in excess of 300 feet and thousands of feet back in caves. The D3 has a little better performance on dives in the 300 ft plus range and was designed for sidemount regs.

I'll be in all day tomorrow from 10-5 at the number in my sig line if you want more comparison information (yes I take calls on Sunday!). That goes for anyone and yes, there are some deals to be had this weekend.

Once you get to the point of maintaining two sets of doubles regs, the biggest issue IMO will be service. So if staying with hog will allow you to self-service that would be the way to go. They've been around long enough by now to be proven in technical diving. Regulators are not that difficult to work on, and they all do more-or-less the same thing. The markup on new regulators by some of the big companies is insane, as is the servicing cost/warranty nonsense.

I'm a big fan of older SP regs, but that's because they're cheap, very easy to work on and parts are readily available. My go-to cave set is a pair of MK10s with a D300 and 109 2nd, which I spent all of $150 on. I'd use Mk5s if I had the DIN retainers for them.

I use HOG for doubles, singles, SM, deco.....etc. Solid performers....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like them, have a bunch. Haven't had any issues for the past few years (new or used)

BRad

I have switched to all HOG, and I know several people who did the same. I don't know anyone who switched away from HOG. I could not imagine giving up the convenience of being able to fix/tune my regulator at any time I want. I've already done it on the evening after a dive, and before next morning's dive. Taking the regulator class is like taking the red pill to get out of the Matrix, a liberating experience. I also dive doubles. My HOG regs breathe easier than my Aqualung regs (and I was able to tune them to breathe easier than the factory setting).

I'm happy with my HOG regs on my doubles a d that we can self service them.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Anyway, now that my wife and I are looking to learn to dive doubles and eventually take cave courses, is there any reason to consider switching to a different brand?
You have them. You like them. Hose routing for BM doubles isn't a particular problem with them. Performance at depth isn't as particular problem. Stick with them.

Back
Top Bottom