Zeagle F8 or Atomic Z2 octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkiely

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Trying to decide which octo to go with. I have a Z2 as my primary second stage now and I love it. I would go with a Z2 octo but I'm really curious about the new Zeagle F8. I havent been able to find much on the materials used to make the F8 nor if it has a similar service interval to the Z2 (2 years vs. yearly)

Another option would be to use my current Z2 as an octo and upgrade to a Z3 as my primary second stage.

Thoughts?

Yes, do that.

which one?

1: F8 octo
2: Z2 Octo
3 Use my Z2 as an octo and get a Z3 for my primary second stage

Stay with one brand, why not...
What does the Z3 offer over the Z2 that you need?

Another option would be to use my current Z2 as an octo and upgrade to a Z3 as my primary second stage.

The Z3 is just the Z2x with the swivel hose. Just get another Z2 and call it good. You can probably find a used Z2 second stage on flea-bay.

I don't know how the auto-venturi on the Atomic works, but is there a benefit to having a manual venturi on the octopus? When I enter the water with the venturi open, it freeflows, and I shut it off.

---------- Post added November 30th, 2015 at 03:36 PM ----------

Okay, I just found out how the AFC works (it's kind of neat) and I still prefer a manual venturi control. But I don't like automatic transmissions either.

Last edited:
Agree with Tbar to stay with one brand for ease of servicing. Why make things more difficult for yourself. I believe they detuned my Atomic octo (B2 in my case) as it never freeflows.

What does Atomic service cost? I can service the Zeagle for $15.00, if I replace everything.

Agree with Tbar to stay with one brand for ease of servicing. Why make things more difficult for yourself. I believe they detuned my Atomic octo (B2 in my case) as it never freeflows.

Zeagle and Atomic are owned by the same holding company, so service may not be a problem.

Both Zeagle and Atomic regulators are now made in the Atomic factory in CA. Since the new F8 is the "new and improved" (by Atomic) model, you would think they'd service it as well. The Zeagle service kits (with upgrade) now come from Atomic and work in all Zeagle regulators. As you're sending either regulator to same place, the question (aside from looks) is whether you want an automatic or manual venturi.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom