The new Scubapro mk28/650 reg.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What kind of diving do you do? Temperatures...cold water/warm, depth, etc...

I have heard that Scubapro is developing a new diaphragm first stage - the Mk 17 - but have not heard of any other new first stage developments.

The theory behind the X650 is solid and it should offer come clear advantages over the S600. I have only examined one and it appeared well made. There was an initial problem with excessive drag in the lever mechanisim and the lever was redesigned. I have heard that the new version breathes great but I have also heard that the new version breathes great for a few dives and then goes down hill.

Given the similarities in orifices and poppets with the S600, I don't see any reason for it and will probably order one for myself just to check it out.

The MK 25 is a great reg unless you dive in extremely cold water (below about 40 degrees) with high pressure tanks or with poor cold water technique in which case it is prone to freeflow.

Part of the problem is the S600 second stage which has it's own tendency to freeflow slightly in cold water and aggravates the marginal cold water reliability of the Mk 25. The fact that it is commonly paired with the MK 25 has not helped the Mk 25's cold water reputation any.

The Mk 25 is more reliable in cold water with a G250HP second stage and I have had no problems with a MK 25 in water down to 34 degrees and depths of 150' when used with low pressure tanks and either a D400 or G250 second stage.

I just bought one(28/650)to replace my D-400. I dive in warm water in the gulf or carribean. I was hoping to hear from others that have used one. My shop owner highly recommended this unit because he has had one and really notices a difference in ease of breathing and without hesitation. I will find out in a few weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom