scubapro d400 versus s550

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluce

Registered
Reaction score
I have been agonizing over several different regulators as I prepare to make a purchase. Getting back into diving after a 25 year hiatus. Anyone there have experience with both the S550 and D400? Scubapro claims that the D400 has better bubble dispersion, true? Do they breath about the same at all depths? Reliability the same? And to throw a wrench into the works, I am attracted to the Dacor Viper Tec. Fits best in my mouth and of course has good bubble dispersion as a side breather. This process is like buying a car without getting to test drive it first...crazy! Thanks...Bob

Some regs are just a b*tch to tune. The D400 is one of them. When tuned properly, it breathes as good as anything out there.

Personally I hate that Darth Vader look you get with it. Bubble dispersion is overrated as most regulators will exhaust bubble behind you when you are horizontal. Unless you do a lot of diving in a vertical position, don't worry about it.

I think the Viper group of regs is crap. Tempermental little things and not that rugged. Breathes wet in odd positions.

Go with the S550 of the three you mentioned.

Scorpiofish...thanks for the reply. I may well get the s550. The s600 looks like the same reg with an extra control which I don't quite understand. I understand having a knob to keep hi-performance regs from free flowing, but what is the extra tuning knob all about - frill or necessity? ... Thanks ... Bob

Hi

I personally would go with the d400. The breathing resistance on the d400 and the s550 and the s600 are prettymuch all identical. I like the slim profile of the d400, not only for the buble disp. but it lets you see "down" better as the diaphram is under your chin. also, in heavy current, the d400 is less prone to auto-purge b/c of the current "pushing" the button. But, I have dove all the regs you mention, and have choose the d400 as my primary reg with a g250 back-up. Stay away from the viper tec.

just my $.02

wateronbrain...thanks for reply. Well, I had just about given up on the D400 and now your post has me thinking about it again. scorpiofish in an earlier post claimed that the D400 was difficult to keep tuned, otherwise a good breathing reg. How long have you owned the D400? The main appeal to me about the D400 is the single, simple pre-dive/dive switch and superior bubble dispersion while providing similar performance to the S550/600 line. Sells for $570 when paired with the MK25 first stage, a little more than the S550. This decision making is really tough when you can't test dive these regs. It is so easy to get wrapped up in all the features, just like a car or a stereo. At least you can test drive the car and listen to the stereo. ... Bob

One thing to keep in mind is that the D400 is near the end of it's production run. Scubapro is very good about keeping parts available for their regs (you can get parts for the balanced adjustable, etc), but new techs won't be taught to service them.

It is probably not that big of a deal, but I would still keep it in mind. Most SP techs have been wanting them to drop the D400 for a long time because it is so difficult to adjust.

I would reccomend the S600. I do like the adjustment knob. My reg is tuned out past SP spec, and it breathes REALLY easy. I use the knob to roll it back when I might have it out of my mouth, or in surf/current etc. VIVA will knock out a lot of the freeflow on the 550, so it is not that big of a deal, but I like being able to fine tune the reg.

I will echo teh Vypers as crap.

Thanks...I'm still a little confused about the difference between the two controls on the S600. The S550 only has one user control. The S600 has two. The description on the SP website seems like doubletalk to me. Sounds like the VIVA and the 'Inhalation Effort Control' knob do the same thing. Can you explain the difference? Thanks ... Bob

I own the D400 mark 20 scubapro reg:D

It is beautiful!! I'm actually an authorized scubapro tech and they are not that bad to service if you know what you are doing and of course have the proper tools for the job..

They are extremely high performance regulators and give plenty of smooth consistent air when needed regardless of depth. The d400 was scubapro's flagship reg until the s600 arrived(also very sweet):) Although the whole scubapro line up is sweet for regulators i can recomend the s550/mark16 or the G250/mark 20
I prefer the mark 20/25 first stage, configuration is sweet and the blow through piston is extremely reliable..

BEST OF ALL LIFE TIME PARTS FOR ALL SCUBAPRO REGS IF SERVICED ANUALLY AT YOUR AUTHORIZED SCUBAPRO DEALER!!

Good luck,

NINJA:D

Ninja - Well I bought the S550/MK25. I thought since the D400 is going out of production I'd go with a newer reg. Hope to get in my first dive with it Friday, weather permitting. Thanks ... Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom