Can you use cold water regulator in warm water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssra30

Reaction score
I was just wondering about the Aqualung Legend Supreme which is stated that it is supposed to be used in 50F water or colder. I think the only difference between it and the regular Legend is that the Supreme version is environmentally sealed. I dive mostly in warm water but plan to dive in some colder places next year so should I just get the Legend and hope that it won't freeze up when I dive in colder water (around 13-18C) or just get the Legend Supreme instead and use it in tropical divesite as well. I want to stay with Aqualung mainly because of the availability of local support/dealer so I am not really looking for any other brands at this time. Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can use a cold water reg in warm water, but you may not be able to use a warm water reg in cold water. But the water temperatures you have mentioned (13-18C) are NOT cold. None of my regs are specifically designed for cold water but I have often used them at around 9 - 10C with no problems. I have never heard of a reg freezing up at this sort of temperature. Maybe someone who dives in REALLY cold water could give us an idea of what sort of temp poses a risk of freezing a reg.

Under 50 deg F (10 deg C) is considered cold water by most reg manufacturers. In my own personal experience, below 40 deg F (5 deg C) is where it starts to become a really serious concern with a freeflow very likely to occur.

I use my cold reg in both warm and cold water. From water temps in the low 30s to the mid 80s, it's worked great!

But as Bluedevil states "you can use a cold water reg in warm water, but you may not be able to use a warm water reg in cold water".

ssra30:
I was just wondering about the Aqualung Legend Supreme which is stated that it is supposed to be used in 50F water or colder. I think the only difference between it and the regular Legend is that the Supreme version is environmentally sealed. I dive mostly in warm water but plan to dive in some colder places next year so should I just get the Legend and hope that it won't freeze up when I dive in colder water (around 13-18C) or just get the Legend Supreme instead and use it in tropical divesite as well. I want to stay with Aqualung mainly because of the availability of local support/dealer so I am not really looking for any other brands at this time. Thanks for your help.

I believe the primary difference between the Legend and the legend Supreme is that the Supreme version has a lip shield on the second stage to keep your lips a bit warmer, it might also come from the factory tuned alittle differently, I can't remember. The entire Legend series is environmentally sealed. And as the others have said, its fine to use a cold water reg in warm water.

thanks for the info. I guess being used to diving in 26-30C water, 13C just sounds like it is going to be very cold :)

ssra30:
thanks for the info. I guess being used to diving in 26-30C water, 13C just sounds like it is going to be very cold :)
Try to dive in the North Atlantic (In Nova Scotia) ocean in January when it's so cold that salt water freezes, then you know what cold is :eyebrow: :wink:
As many said: you can dive in warm water with a cold water reg but not the other way around.
Oren

mmcdds:
I believe the primary difference between the Legend and the legend Supreme is that the Supreme version has a lip shield on the second stage to keep your lips a bit warmer, it might also come from the factory tuned alittle differently, I can't remember. The entire Legend series is environmentally sealed. And as the others have said, its fine to use a cold water reg in warm water.

I believe that there is also a heat sink on the second stage of the supreme

Yeah, you can do it - I've used my Poseidon's in the ocean on several occasions. Once on a blackbeard's trip, and the last winter in the keys. Plus, I use 'em in caves as well which is 72f water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom