Apeks regulator warranty & parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I've been looking hard at purchasing an Apeks DS4/TX50/TX40 combo. I've found a good price on it online that runs over 300 bucks less than my LDS will give me for it. My LDS will not budge on price, since they don't stock it and would have to order it themselves for me.

I e-mailed Apeks a few times asking them this question, but they never replied back. Calling England from here just hasn't happened yet, with the time zones and all.

My question is about the cost of parts. I can't find anywhere that says if parts are covered under the warranty, and it appears that the Apeks website will accept an online purchase for warranty registration. My concern is that Scubapro will cover your parts under warranty, and that goes a long way towards the lifetime cost of the equipment.

Does Apeks warranty their regulators if sold online? Do they cover the cost of parts if they are under warranty?

If these are both "no", then odds are good I'll be going with a Scubapro setup, since I can get that locally for only a bit more. If the answer is "yes", I may finally get the Apeks regulators I've been wanting.

And has anyone been given crap for buying online when you brought your regulator in for service? I thought about telling the only LDS that services Apeks in my area that I just got them second-hand if it happens.

If you do a search, you will find the answer. The short answer is, yes, the warranty is a lifetime limited warranty on service kits every other year. You will not get this warranty is purchased online. Yes, you will catch hell if you bring in reg into your shop you didnt buy there...

I really think this is BS and the LDS should match the internet price, or loose. I beter stop right here...........

LUBOLD8431:
If you do a search, you will find the answer. The short answer is, yes, the warranty is a lifetime limited warranty on service kits every other year. You will not get this warranty is purchased online. Yes, you will catch hell if you bring in reg into your shop you didnt buy there...

Yeah, I did the search before I asked. I even tried asking Apeks themselves. The problem is everyone talks about Scubapro's warranty, and that's all fine and good, but I don't expect every company to have the same warranty. Nobody has talked about Apeks in particular, so I asked.

The Apeks warranty registration applet only asks where you bought it. They don't make any comment about authorized dealers or anything like that. They just want to know where and when you purchased it. There are supposed to be some companies that will honor a warranty through an online dealer, and there are supposed to be some authorized dealers that will sell to you online. The problem is finding them.

Also, I pulled up the papers to double check exactly what I was talking about. My LDS quoted me basically $900 bucks after taxes for the regulator combo that I can find online for $456 plus shipping. That's a lot of parts. That's a lot of anything else. Hell, that's enough money saved to take that DIRF class I passed up because of the money.

And as far as supporting the LDS, I used to really like them. But lately they have made me feel like a walking wallet and this whole "authorized dealer" crap feels like a conspiracy or price-fixing scheme anyway. There is a better shop, but it's way across town. I'll probably just end up going there from now on, but they don't sell or service Apeks.

Hell. Maybe this whole idea about getting Apeks regs is pointless. Maybe I should just be a sheep and buy whatever the LDS carries and pushed my way. Trying to research stuff and make sure I get the best stuff for my money is just pissing me off and making me hate the whole thing anyway. I could have had myself a nice jacket bc and a low-end regulator by now and probably been just fine.

There's my morning rant. Wish I could just kill this thread and be done with it.

Hey, well thats why its your choice to buy where you want. Not every LDS is the same, and there are alot of threads about bad ones. Personally, I think the LDS should try to meet you halfway on the price. Or, do something to make it more appealing. Price isnt everything, and this is life support equipment, and it needs to be set up properly (you also get the warranty when purchased thru an LDS, that includes service kits every other year). This is tough to do when purchased online. This thread might turn into a flame war here, so be warned...

LUBOLD8431:
Hey, well thats why its your choice to buy where you want. Not every LDS is the same, and there are alot of threads about bad ones. Personally, I think the LDS should try to meet you halfway on the price. Or, do something to make it more appealing. Price isnt everything, and this is life support equipment, and it needs to be set up properly (you also get the warranty when purchased thru an LDS, that includes service kits every other year). This is tough to do when purchased online. This thread might turn into a flame war here, so be warned...
I disagree with your statement that price isn't everything in this case.
You would be right if it would be two different items but we are talking about the same thing, just $300 less.

Wijbrandus:
Yeah, I did the search before I asked. I even tried asking Apeks themselves. The problem is everyone talks about Scubapro's warranty, and that's all fine and good, but I don't expect every company to have the same warranty. Nobody has talked about Apeks in particular, so I asked.

The Apeks warranty registration applet only asks where you bought it. They don't make any comment about authorized dealers or anything like that. They just want to know where and when you purchased it. There are supposed to be some companies that will honor a warranty through an online dealer, and there are supposed to be some authorized dealers that will sell to you online. The problem is finding them.

Also, I pulled up the papers to double check exactly what I was talking about. My LDS quoted me basically $900 bucks after taxes for the regulator combo that I can find online for $456 plus shipping. That's a lot of parts. That's a lot of anything else. Hell, that's enough money saved to take that DIRF class I passed up because of the money.

And as far as supporting the LDS, I used to really like them. But lately they have made me feel like a walking wallet and this whole "authorized dealer" crap feels like a conspiracy or price-fixing scheme anyway. There is a better shop, but it's way across town. I'll probably just end up going there from now on, but they don't sell or service Apeks.

Hell. Maybe this whole idea about getting Apeks regs is pointless. Maybe I should just be a sheep and buy whatever the LDS carries and pushed my way. Trying to research stuff and make sure I get the best stuff for my money is just pissing me off and making me hate the whole thing anyway. I could have had myself a nice jacket bc and a low-end regulator by now and probably been just fine.

There's my morning rant. Wish I could just kill this thread and be done with it.
I'm confident that if you'll look a little longer you'll be able to get the reg for the right price with manuf. warranty.
There are many good regs out there. It would depend on what you need it for. I may have missed something but why does it have to be an Apeks?

LUBOLD8431:

Since the questions have been answered I am going to comment on the above. I guess I have a foot in both camps here. I do agree that $300 is a bit too much of a difference. But if a shop in Texas can offer you, with warranty, the same thing as your LDS at far less why by local. On the other hand if you find one of those that sell it but you have to send it back to them for repairs or service, you have lost that savings in a few years due to shipping. And if you don't insure it during shipping then and it is lost then it is gone.
I guess I have been lucky since everything that I want I can't get at my LDS but can travel 75 miles and get it and a decent cost.

Wijbrandus:

It's not your job to ensure the economic stability of the LDS by overpaying for you gear. If they don't/can't sell you the gear for a reasonable price, look elsewhere. If you can get the gear you want online for $300.00 or more less than from the LDS, I think it would be foolish not to buy online. If you really want to give away your $300.00, I will gladly take it off your hands! :wink:

$900 for a DS4/TX50/TX40 ???

YOWSAH ... that's a LOT of money!!! You can get an ATX200 for less than that.

I just purchased a brand new DS4/TX50 combo for $320. A TX40 should run you another $150, tops.

Your LDS is taking you to the cleaners ... I'd keep shopping.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom