Oceanic PX2 and Omega 3 wet breathing help (kinda long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frenchy07

Reaction score
Hello all, newbie here looking for a little help from the experienced and hopefully some answers. My experience is very limited (confined dives only, OW coming soon).

I am using a Oceanic PX2 with the omega 3. Upon entering the water (step off) I instantally get water in my mouth and have to clear (little panic here as you know us beginners get it easier). Backward or sitting entry doesn't result in this problem. I get the water cleared out of my mouth and begin working on my skills (as all us rookies should) and everything is going normal (occasional small water in mouth) until I have to roll (weight belt practice) or look up or go head first, then I start breathing water again. As long as I am foot first or face down everything is ok but when I try to relax on the bottom and look up I get leakage into my mouth (and the chlorine is not a pleasant drink as you know). The equipment was purchased from a friend (distant) and he didn't indicate any of these problems and just to be on the safe side (always error on the side of caution right?) I had all equipment serviced before starting training. I have replaced the mouthpiece (3rd one) so I hope that rules out not installing it right (unless you can tighten a zip tie to tight and cause a leak).

The other item is that in the begining I could hear the 1st clicking everytime I would inhale. Orginal orientation of the 1st was upright (it was sticking up when installed on the tank and I would wack my head on it from time to time, but the hose layout was correct) so i moved some hoses around so that I can install it hanging down and no more sore spots on the back of my head and now i don't notice the clicking.

I had my instructor look at the regulator and he didn't see any problems (visual) that should be causing this problem ( I switched to a set of his regs on my 1st day, same set-up, no problems with breathing).

Is this a problem (the wet breating) that I just need to deal with and learn to control? Answer from my LDS was that the better regulators dry breath in any position. It was my understanding (and from the positive reviews on this board) that this is one of the better regulator set-up out there.

As far as mechanally I haven't investigated to far into the equipment (if it was a car I would of torn it apart several times till I found what the problem was, we technicans are that way you know) other that visually inspecting it. I know someone here has an idea (or has encountered it) and any and all help is appreciated in my predicatement as I don't really want to have to put up with this (unless it is me and then I can adjust and deal with it).

Thanks all
Frenchy07

It is always difficult to trouble shoot a problem without seeing the actual apparatus. Therefore unfortunately you will receive a bunch of responses that are estimates of potential problems. I will tell you one thing though. For sure it is not the orientation of the reg that is causing the problem. And having never personally looked inside a PX2 I am guess basedon similar flow through piston regs. As far as the wet breath, the only thing that I could suggest is that maybe the second stage disphragm is not installed correctly,and leaks a little bit of water. although this could also be a connection of the mouthpiece to the second stage or the hose to the second stage for that matter. Heck while we're at it, check your mouthpiece by stretching it in various directions to see if there are any pin holes in it. This would also cause a wet breath. so could similar holes in the diaphragm.

As far as your click goes, I couldn't tell ya. I will say that is is not meant to do that though. Likely a problem with not enough lubrication on the Piston shaft o-ring. Or the piston itself may be out of position. hard to say dude.
I would take it to a dealer though. Be careful and resist the urge to tear it apart as Oceanics are partsy. difintely watch what you do to thesecond stage as it is a servo assisted not aconvention demand valve... :)
enjoy... hey at least you will have some trouble shooting experience under your belt after this though.

.........the Oceanic Omega 2nd stage is famous for being a wet-breather, just read about this regulator in this Divernet magazine review:

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/1202regtest2.htm

..........so I don't think there's much you can do about it. By the way, I dive the Poseidon Odin regulator (which is a side-exhaust/servo-valve 2nd-stage) just like the Omega, however, unlike the Omega, the Odin is dry-as-a-bone in ALL positions.......so if you like side-exhaust-design 2nd stages I'd highly recommend the Odin.

Karl

Back
Top Bottom