Scubapro D400 Adjustment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMartin

Registered
Reaction score
Question on D400.

I would like to know how to adjust the D400. There is 3 adjustments as far that I can see. There is the cracking pressure adjustemnet (The small screw in the front to raise or lower the purge lever), the resistance adjustment (Spring tension) and the small rotating plastic part surrounding the spring - the venturie.

What is the best combinaison to acheive the best comfort? What is the sequence of adjustment. What are the performance specifications? Is the MK25 intermediate pressure has any influence on the D400 adjustment? If yes, what is the recomended pressure?

My tech has a hard time adjusting it and I feel it can be improved.

If we loosen the spring tension, to acheive better confort, when we hit the purge button, the D400 start free-flowing. We can stop this by turning the small platic device (the venturie) so it faces my mouth. Is this common practice?

Thanks for sharing yout thoughts!

The D400 is a little different and many techs don't like it and are not very good at adjusting them.

The lever adjustment screw should have about 2 threads showing when you start the adjustment process. This leaves the lever very loose but keeps it from interfering with the poppet adjustment.

The cap over the poppet assembly/spring should be about 1/2 turn below flush.

The Venturi adjustment is normally set at one click away from full open.

Leave the diaphragm and purge cover off for the initial adjustment.

Once the air is on check to ensure the lever is still loose so it does not interfere with the valve.

Increase spring tension by screwing the cap down (clockwise) 1/4 turn at a time until the leak stops. Screwing the cap clockwise can sometimes cause the spring to wind up a bit so you should adjust by going clockwise a little farther than needed and then backing up counterclockwise.

Once you get in the ball park, you can adjust back and forth to make the final adjustments to get peak performance. These adjustments will be very small with maybe only 1/8-1/12 turn in either direction.

On most second stages, you need to go about 1/12 tunr past optimum to anticipate the formation of a seating groove. With the D400 the spring pressure is a lot lighter and this is not required. (and if a slight freeflow does develop you can tighten things slightly later)

You always want to cycle the valve several times between adjustments to ensure the valve is seating properly.

During this process make sure the lever remains loose as is not preventing the valve from closing.

Once the poppet adjustment is done, you tighten the nyloc lever adjustment screw until a slight leak starts and then the manual says you back it off just enough to get the leak to stop. In practice, just a bit more detuning is needed to prevent the valve from leaking once the diaphragm and purge cover are reistalled, but you want to make sure that you leave it no looser than neccesary or the reduced lever travel will reduce the flow rate of the second stage. It should begin to flow with only slight pressure on the purge cover, if not, the lever is too loose.

There should be 4 small raised dots on the edge of the diaphragm and these should be aligned at top/bottom/left/right on the case to ensure the little guide for the lever is straight up and down and not angled.

In my experience, the plastic orifice in the later D400 can be a real pain in terms of getting maximum performance. In addition, the newest version of the poppet has a raised ridge toward the inside that often does not seat terribly well on the plastic orifice. A little gentle pressure to press things together is sometimes needed but a lot of care is needed to ensure things are properly aligned so that the orifice is not damaged. And don't get carried away with the slight pressure thing - too much can damage the orifice.

Care is also needed to ensure the hard tip at the bottom of the poppet does not damage the relatively soft plastic orifice during assembly. You need to install it with it centered in the hole and not bouncing off the edge of the orifice.

Care is also needed when inserting the plastic orifice in the aspirator body and many techs screw the orifice up at that point, making a light cracking effort impossible to achieve later on.

SP went with the plastic orifice to eliminate corrosion conerns (which were a non issue in the D400) and to reduce the cost of replacing a one piece $45 aspirator body/orifice with a two piece aspirator and $4.00 orifice if the orfice were ever damaged. It is now a lot cheaper to repair if the orifice is damaged in some way but the older one piece brass aspirator body/orifice was a lot better.

SP also changed to a slightly different lever late in the D400 production that has flats on two sides instead of one This was marketed as a means to increase flow rate, but the only change I have observed is that the vaccum needed to maintain the flow rate is increased at high flow rates once the valve is opened. It reduces freeflows, but makes the reg breathe harder.

Thanks for the Info.

I know that the D400 is well known for its good performances in frigid water. Here I often dive near (and sometime below) the freezing point (28 F to 40 F) and quite deep (100-150'). Never had free flows so far. Other than detuning the D400 and bringing down the intermediate pressure of the 1st stage a bit, do you have any suggestion to reduce the possibility of a free flow? I'm in the process of taking my Trimix course. Any other tweaking required on the D400 since Helium is a smaller molecule (so it could leak easier theorically) and the fact the the dives will happen at around 270 feets?

Thanks again

DA,

After you have everything adjusted to that perfect spot how much lever play should there be? On a normal D400 should you be able to shake the reg and hear a little rattle? If so this would indicate to me that there would be a slight pop each time you exhale(this would seem somewhat annoying). What would you consider normal in this situation?

Thanks

Gillty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom