Cold water rig ? whats the best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabriel90512

Reaction score
I will be diving off the coast of boston and Main. the water is
nice and cold .. what would be the best regulator 1 and 2nd stage i could get for about 300-400 $$ ?

Thanks

Gabe

I got a Dacor Pacer Two reg w/ Dacor pacer second stage. I paid $410 used for it say 4 dives before I purchased it... More on the high end I would recommend the Mares Proton Ice. I have used it and no problems with freeflow or freezing up. I dive off Deer island point, NB, which is directly across from East Port Maine.

Aqualung Titan LX Supreme is a good reg for that price. But buy it before the end of July.... as they have a coupon deal right now.

www.aqualung.com

The Mares Proton Ice is a nice reg, but if you're just doing recreational dives you'll probably be able to get by with a lot less.

Personally, I use an Apeks DS4/ATX50 for my doubles, but I've used an entry level Genesis Yukon around here for years and only had a problem once... when the air temp was so low that a test breath caused it to free flow pre-dive.

Gabriel90512:
nice and cold .. what would be the best regulator 1 and 2nd stage i could get for about 300-400 $$ ?

Thanks

Gabe

The best uis going to the be the one that best fits your pocketbook, etc.

I recommend borrowing and renting as many different makes and models as possible before you buy. Try them on several dives and then decide.

I think that the best reg for you place with thewonderful combination of salt and cold, is apeks. I amnot to sure about the US dollar prices, but the ATX50 i not too bad. It is environmentally sealed and will outperform you! Even if the ATX50 is a little steep ask for the ATX40. The same thing without the Adjustment feature. Not to necessary unless you are diving deeper. You would like the apeks.

However, as mentioned check out what is available in your area, and see what you are able to get serviced. If anything I would recommend keeping away from open port pistons. First of all the salt (unless you are among the very few that rinse and rinse and rinse) and secondly the cold water. I don't know when you cut off your dive season, but freeze-ups are not to fun. Maybe report back with what is available in your area and you will get a little more narowed down opinion.

The AquaLung LX supreme is a great cold water reg. I have used mine for the lst 2 years in winter in Indiana and no problems at all.

I would recommend Apeks (ATX50 and above), Aqualung Legend LX Supreme, all Poseidons...
I definately would stay away from Subapro as I have seen a lot of freeflowing from them in cold water...

Gabriel90512:

Thanks

Gabe
ATOMIC IS THE BEST WAY TO GO CHECK IT OUT

sitka diver:
ATOMIC IS THE BEST WAY TO GO CHECK IT OUT

I second that! Yes, check out the Atomic M-1! :07:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom