The pros and cons of rebuilding your own regulators...

People who rebuild their own regs are...

• candidates for the Darwin award.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • egotisitical and short sighted.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • dellusional about their own perceived skills.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • ill equiped to handle all of the contingencies.

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • a little on the wild side.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • to be admired for their god-like knowledge.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • probably more conscientious about their equipment, and in tune to how it works.

Votes: 105 68.6%
  • Froody dudes who really know where their towels are...

Votes: 15 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This thread has been started so that the OTHER thread that is concerned with tips and resources for those of us who have crossed this bridge can stay on topic...

Personally I'm a pretty technical guy and KNOW that I could easily learn to service my own equipment... HOWEVER, I don't think that I ever will... MY MAIN REASON

I worked as a professional mechanic for a bicycle race team (downhill bikes) which are very complicated precision pieces of machinery. I did it EVERYDAY, ALLDAY... and even though when I started I was a good mechanic, by the end of the season I was a GREAT mechanic.

It's the small things - and doing it once or twice or ever three or four times a year, yes can be done well and even perfectly.. HOWEVER someone who does it EVERYDAY has a much keener eye for when something is actually wrong with the unit.

Bicycles is one thing, MY LIFE SUPPORT equipment is another. I really trust the guys at my LDS and I want to have the piece of mind that the guy who works on my stuff is one of the best out there... and he is...

Not to mention some of those tools are darned expensive..

Just my opinion and you know what they say about those :D

Read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... the concept "way cool" comes to mind here... :tease:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a book by Douglas Adams (sadly departed :( ).

It is actually a series of 5 books, involving the universe-spanning adventures of several intrepid characters. Ford Prefect was a froody dude, who always knew where his towel was :)

Sorry, I really can't explain it in less than an essay, you'll just have to read the books :wink:

Jeff

Much to dismay of bengelsmgtsucks (who is one of my LDS's owners) I believe that with proper training one can service thier own reg to the same level as the LDS. I do stress WITH PROPER TRAINING. I don't advocate just tearing one down to see how it works but if you have someone to show you how to do it or you take the class then go for it but test it throughly before you depend on it.

Chad

I agree entirely with CKHARLAN's last reply. However; don't forget to support your local dive center. Without them there would be NO divers. Shop around and find a LDS that fits you. If you ever have a problem with your REG after it's been serviced by you LDS demand & I mean DEMAND your money back and that they still repair your reg. If this persist simply report them to the manufacturer. Everyone have a great EASTER.

Originally posted by Stone
Wow...did you ever prove you haven't read the books in a while....:mickey:

I think the answer your searching for is 42.

--TM (who wishes he had a brain the size of a planet like Marvin, but will settle for a really strong cup of tea for his improbability drive)

Some regs are easier to work on then others either because of number of internal parts, special tools, or subtleties of design which make it difficult to determine the disassembly points and methods. This makes it necessary to have diagrams and obtain some practical tips or shortcuts. Once the owner acquires the few basic tools and one or two special tools, he needs the parts kit. So, the main effort is not the overhaul per se, it is getting ready.

Although the average mechanic does not have the experience of a pro, he isn't usually under any kind of time constraint. If it takes twice as long, so what? He is motivated to do it right, and can do so under his own time schedule. He can afford time and effort to clear a work area, lay out a clean cloth and spread out the parts in logical order. Moreover, he probably won't have to do this every year. Once he gains knowledge from doing, the amateur will be better able to judge whether there is an actual need to overhaul these well made and durable devices every year as opposed to a more extended schedule. He may decide that the fewer overhauls the better, no matter who does it.

The amateur will not need all the special tools recommended for the pros. However, he will need to cobble up an IP test gauge with a 3/8" fitting. He may need a special spanner to open the regulator first stg. A dental pick is often useful. He may need a C clip pliers. He will need some special lube. Special gauges like those which are used to check inhalation effort or cracking pressure are probably not needed. The amateur can "wing it" with a bit of insight, and trial and error on the bench. However, if special tools are preferred they can usually be obtained. Be aware that regs are made of soft materials. If clamping is necessary, use a tool or vise with soft jaws and use minimal pressure in the right spot. If something is not right, stop and review everything. Ask someone.

Each reg has some little tricks to make the job easier and avoid damaging something. For example, SP recommends a special inline tool to adjust the orifice (fine tune) on some 2nd stgs. However, a screwdriver will work well, at least on the older models. The manual also says that the poppet has to be removed first to prevent the seat from being cut by the orifice which is being rotated. However, merely depressing the diaphragm while rotating the orifice works just as good, e.g. doesn't damage the poppet's rubber seat while adjusting.

In summary, there are usually several shortcuts or work arounds which will get you home and the result will be just as good as the pro. Learn about your reg, get the tools and parts, and be confident. You are only responsible for one or two regs, not a couple hundred.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom