Water on 1st stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebrasil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

Yesterday after a dive, I forgot to put the cap back on the first stage valve before storing it. I only realized it when I got home. My reg was in a case, and there was not much water in there, some drops here and there. I didn't see any apparent water on the valve.
I got my tank and sprayed some air on the valve just in case.
But I am still wondering, could water have gotten inside? How easy is it for water to get inside? As I said the regs were stored in a soft case. So the only water inside the case is water that could have dropped from the regs, computer hoses, etc...

What should I do?

Thanks a lot

Why do you think water went into the first stage??? Just hook it up to the tank and push the purge button a couple of times. You're ok, not to worry anymore.

divebrasil:
Hi guys,

Yesterday after a dive, I forgot to put the cap back on the first stage valve before storing it. I only realized it when I got home. My reg was in a case, and there was not much water in there, some drops here and there. I didn't see any apparent water on the valve.
But I am still wondering, could water have gotten inside? How easy is it for water to get inside? As I said the regs were stored in a soft case. So the only water inside the case is water that could have dropped from the regs, computer hoses, etc...

What should I do?

Thanks a lot

No big deal don't worry! What ShakaZulu said is perfect advice. I once flooded a first stage but as long as you blow it out by purging, it shouldn't be a future problem. The regulator was a Dacor Pacer XL with Octo from the 1980`s, it still works to this day 20 years later. You might want to disconnect the SPG replace it with a HP port plug and purge the Primary for 30 seconds then the octo for 30 sec.

divebrasil:
Hi guys,

What should I do?

Thanks a lot

Another relevant question is what kind of water? Salt water or turbid water with a lot of silt floating in it will interfere with the filter and reduce performance faster.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over a drop or two of water inside the first stage unless you're noticing bad performance. To get the water back out again, remove the regulator hose, attach the reg to a tank with the hose off (ie the hole in the 1st stage is open), put a towel over it so it doesn't spray and/or blow the contents of your room apart and open the tank up for 10 sec or so. When you put the hose back on again don't tighten it too much. The first stage is probably made of brass (a soft metal) and it's tight enough if you give it a little nudge and you can't turn it off again with your hand.

Alternatively you can just purge like Shaka said but then the water you had inside your first stage gets in the hose and valve assembly of the 2nd stage too.

R..

Back
Top Bottom