Is assembling the console/first stage/second stage etc as easy as it looks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to be receiving my reg and octo pretty soon. I was wondering how easy it is to assemble everything yourself. It looks really, really easy.

Am I correct in assuming just make sure you attach the console to the HP port, and then the octo and bcd hose to LP ports. Make sure they all have the orings on, and simply screw them in?

BTW, the equipment is ATX50 reg, ATX40 octo, and a Tusa 3 instrament console.

Thanks,

Darryl

you are correct!

It's simple... just get an adjustable wrench (which btw, is the best surface peice of scuba gear you will ever own!) and if attatching the LP hoses to the second stage, you might want to use 2 wrenches so you don't torque the hell out of it, although hand tight works good enough there.

You'll also need an allen wrench to take the HP/LP port plugs out. Make sure you use the right size (don't want to strip those!) and keep the plugs around in your save-a-dive kit.

You also might want to invest in some hose protectors and put those on as well.

Thanks guys,
Does it matter which pressure ports are are attached to what? Just keep the console/inflator hose on one side, and the octo with the reg on the other side?

Darryl

the LPs got to go with LP ports and HPs got to go with the HP port. Obviously there are some limitations, like your BC inflator hose and/or drysuit inflator hose have to reach where they need to go and both of your second stages should reach your mouth comfortably allowing your head a full range of motion. Other than that, rig it up and try it. Change it and try it. Repeat as necessary. You'll determine quickly what works best for you. The first stage can also be "sideways", "right side up", or "upside down"; whichever works best for you.

Oh yeah, and keep the hoses un-kinked (if that is a real word) and you can always get longer hoses as well if that increases you comfort level

Of course, sooner or later you'll go DIR and go to the standard hose lengths and port configuration anyway :D

Thanks Ontario Diver,
So if I get a 14' hose does that mean I have twice as good of a setup as a reguler DIR :)

Darryl

Originally posted by dvleemin
Thanks Ontario Diver,
So if I get a 14' hose does that mean I have twice as good of a setup as a reguler DIR :)

Darryl

no. but if you get a 60' hose, you can leave your tanks on the boat. :eek:ut:

Darryl,

One thing that is worth investing in is a set of fixed open ended wrenchs that will fit your reg hoses -- less chance of stripping the brass fittings on hoses......

As for which ports to use - as others have said, as long as you're putting the right stuff in HP vs LP, you're fine. It might be worth thinking about how you're going to be setting things up before you actually do it to save re-doing it later (e.g., DIR rig -- you should have the primary LP hose mounted on a rear port since it will be routed down the side of your body or under your arm; octo on a forward port since it will be going directly from first stage over your shoulder and under your chin. For a "standard" set-up, the reverse would work better)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Originally posted by Ontario Diver

no. but if you get a 60' hose, you can leave your tanks on the boat. :eek:ut:

Yeah, but I bet you DIR guys would still require a backplate and wings, even if you did the leave the tank :rolleyes:

Darryl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom