New DS4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
I have a pair of new DS4s for my doubles they have a plastic and rubber handwheel on the DIN valve. I broke one of my handwheels on the 1st time using them. Looking at the design it is very flimsy and not a solid wheel like the Scuba Pro ones. I have wrote Apeks an email asking about replacment of the hand wheel with the older metal one. I have not yet heard a response.

If you purchase the same 1st stage anytime soon and it has the plastic rubber hand wheel, be very carful with it it will not take much to mess it up.

sylvester:
I have wrote Apeks an email asking about replacment of the hand wheel with the older metal one. I have not yet heard a response.

Please keep us posted.. Apparently this is new on all 2005 model DS-4s and I nearly bought a couple.

Exactly what were you doing when it broke? Was it cool/cold? Once fitted on the valve, does it seem like an impact could bust the handwheel off?

I would like to know also as Apeks stuff is particularly made for the cold and should be better in that sense. The only thing that I can think of is over tightening. You would be better off going to your LDS as it would produce a quicker solution.

rescuediver009:
I would like to know also as Apeks stuff is particularly made for the cold and should be better in that sense. The only thing that I can think of is over tightening.

Their sealed systems are better suited to cold water, but the DIN screw handle is a separate subject unto itself.

Somehow, I just don't feel comfortable with the idea that you could over-tighten the DIN screw (by hand) and break it. Has anyone ever experienced breakage problems like this on 1'st stage DIN regs, plastic or metal?

Never seen or heared about it and I'm originaly from Germany where we didn't have anything else beside DIN (well, we had yoke but very few diver use them).
Nevertheless, I've learned that nothing is impossible, I only may not have seen it yet :)

Thanks for posting this.

Recently, I purchased a DS4 that came with the plastic handwheel. I didn't like the look of it, so I replaced it with the "old" DIN conversion kit with metal handwheel, which I purchased from DiveINN. I hope Apeks re-thinks this new design.

Mike

I am not sure that this is worldwide design change. It may only be in north america as Aqualung has recently done the same.

rescuediver009:
I am not sure that this is worldwide design change. It may only be in north america as Aqualung has recently done the same.

That's possible, but why go through the expense of a new design change just for NA?

That's too bad. I own two DS4's and a Zeagle look alike (I know the history). I've always liked the metal parts on the Apeks vs the Zeagle, but they breath the same. I'm disappointed that Aqua Lung is cheapening the Apeks line, US market or not. If it ain't broke, don't F' with it. I hope they change back before it's time to buy another one.

That being said, I haven't had a problem with the plastic wheel on the Zeagle. I use it on a deco bottle. I barely tighten it though. The o-ring does a good job of sealing it off.

sylvester:
I have a pair of new DS4s for my doubles they have a plastic and rubber handwheel on the DIN valve. I broke one of my handwheels on the 1st time using them. Looking at the design it is very flimsy and not a solid wheel like the Scuba Pro ones. I have wrote Apeks an email asking about replacment of the hand wheel with the older metal one. I have not yet heard a response.

If you purchase the same 1st stage anytime soon and it has the plastic rubber hand wheel, be very carful with it it will not take much to mess it up.

If you purchased these from an authorized dealer it should be covered under you warranty and ANY Aqualung/ APEKS dealer can replace it for you.

Check with the dealer you bought it from.

Regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom