Opinions sought on Req/Octo setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Can't wait for Spring! But in the mean time the mind is racin' as to what new toys to buy with Christmas money/birthday money/tax return/year end bonus/ and paycheck! :wink: Here's what I'm thinking when it comes to Reg/Octo setup.

Reg - Sherwood Blizzard
Octo - ATX 50 Octo
Gauge - Genesis 2 Gauage compact console

Whatcha think?

Divermark2003:
Can't wait for Spring! But in the mean time the mind is racin' as to what new toys to buy with Christmas money/birthday money/tax return/year end bonus/ and paycheck! :wink: Here's what I'm thinking when it comes to Reg/Octo setup.

Reg - Sherwood Blizzard
Octo - ATX 50 Octo
Gauge - Genese 2 console compact.

Whatcha think?

Do you want the blizzard because you're planning cold water dives? I have a Sherwood Oasis which, I think, has the same insides as the Blizzard. It's ok I guess. I use it as part of my backup gear along with a minimus octo. I mostly dive with my Scubapro G250HP and the Air 2 octo because I like them a lot better. I've never had the Oasis deep, but I hear it breathes harder past 100 ft. Most people on this board will tell you that the Apeks regulators are quality pieces of equipment, so you probably won't go wrong with the ATX 50. I know nothing about the console you mention. Happy shoping. :crafty:

Before the onslaught of recommendations for other regs comes... I think that you will find that the ATX50 will breathe better than your blizzard primary. The blizzard is a good reg though, it breathes well past 100 ft. and will serve you well. I had one for a couple years and it waws a true work horse. As mentioned if you have no intentions of diving cold, the oasis i nice but has nothing the blizzard doesn't and sells for the same price. If Apeks is readily available, I would recommend a complete Apeks setup. ATX50 with AT20 octo.....

RescueDiver,
Any reason why you didn't recommend the TX50 and TX40? - I'm curious.

dbulmer:
RescueDiver,
Any reason why you didn't recommend the TX50 and TX40? - I'm curious.

It's the same first stage (either a DS4 or a DST) and it's cheaper. If someone is diving warm water, the only difference between a AT20 and a ATX40 is the heat exchanger. Otherwise, performance is identical. However, in this case, I would agree - given that the diver is in Ohio and has already talked about a cold water reg, the any combination of 50/50, 50/40 or 40/40 would be the way to go.

Thanks Boogie - makes sense.

rescuediver009:
Before the onslaught of recommendations for other regs comes... I think that you will find that the ATX50 will breathe better than your blizzard primary. The blizzard is a good reg though, it breathes well past 100 ft. and will serve you well. I had one for a couple years and it waws a true work horse. As mentioned if you have no intentions of diving cold, the oasis i nice but has nothing the blizzard doesn't and sells for the same price. If Apeks is readily available, I would recommend a complete Apeks setup. ATX50 with AT20 octo.....

I don't see cold cold water diving, but i don't want to get caught with something that can't handle early spring late fall water temps around here. Would the AT20 be able to stand up? or would the ATX50 Octo be a better option for only $50 more? Also, are the differences between the ATX50 and ATX100 regs that big a deal?

Thanks for all the info its been very helpful.

Divermark2003:
I don't see cold cold water diving, but i don't want to get caught with something that can't handle early spring late fall water temps around here. Would the AT20 be able to stand up? or would the ATX50 Octo be a better option for only $50 more? Also, are the differences between the ATX50 and ATX100 regs that big a deal?

Thanks for all the info its been very helpful.

Would the AT20 stand up? Probably. Is it worth the extra $50? This is life support. You tell me. It's only $50. What's your peace of mind worth next time you're at 100 feet, water temps are 43 and you're thinking it's time to start looking for an upline?

Is the difference between the ATX50 and ATX100 a big deal? Not even a little deal. Lots of hardcore techies simply use the 50. They're great regs.

Boogie711:
Would the AT20 stand up? Probably. Is it worth the extra $50? This is life support. You tell me. It's only $50. What's your peace of mind worth next time you're at 100 feet, water temps are 43 and you're thinking it's time to start looking for an upline?

Is the difference between the ATX50 and ATX100 a big deal? Not even a little deal. Lots of hardcore techies simply use the 50. They're great regs.

Yes, i certainly enjoy having my life supported. I think I'm leaning toward a ATX50 reg with ATX50 octo. Ease of breath was a concern but not as big of one as something freezing up at depth :wink:

I'll readily admit that's what I have. I prefer the DS4 to the DST first stage, but they're harder to get that way - most of the time they come with a DST. The DS4 is smaller and doesn't have a turret. If you ever get into doubles, it's easy to just buy a second DS4 and split up your second stages.

Back
Top Bottom