Sling/Pony/Stage Reg - Mk16/R290

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tassie Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all

I'm looking at a new sling/pony/stage reg and at this stage it looks like it'll be a DIN Mk16/R290.

The only info I don't have yet is what max 02 content the Mk16 can be configured for.

I'm open to other suggestions as well - especially from the SP range.

LOL

Tassie Diver:
Hi all

I'm looking at a new sling/pony/stage reg and at this stage it looks like it'll be a DIN Mk16/R290.

The only info I don't have yet is what max 02 content the Mk16 can be configured for.

I'm open to other suggestions as well - especially from the SP range.

LOL

If you use proper oxygen compatible soft parts in the first stage, along with oxygen service cleaning, then it shouldn't be an issue. The second stage isn't as critical due to the lower pressures encountered. Adiabatic compression in a first stage can cause ignition of materials with a low flash point. Silicone lubes are amongst the worst offenders in this regard. I now use ChristoLube on all of my regs regradless of whether they see high O2 levels.

Greg Barlow

I use the 16/380 combo for my stage/sling bottle. One thing you may want to consider is getting a MK2 instead. THe Mk2 is a piston vs a diaphram so it can handle water in the first stage. Many people like to pressurize their reg on the stage bottle and then turn it off. If you depress the purge button during the dive then you can depressurize, which can result in water getting into the first stage. Which as I said is worse for the 16.

I've already experienced this problem. I had to pay for a rebuild earlier this year on my 16 for this very reason. Now I just leave the valve open.

hex92:
One thing you may want to consider is getting a MK2 instead. THe Mk2 is a piston vs a diaphram so it can handle water in the first stage.

Aah, the voice of experience. Thanks. I'd actually had a few doubts about the Mk16 but was liking the idea of a diaphragm reg. I also believe it's not evironmentally sealed either.

The research continues...

Okay, is the Mk2 available in a set up for 100% O2?

LOL

I would assume that scubapro regs are O2 clean from the factory, but I am sure the literature states that they can only be used with 40% (to cover their butts legally). If you are buying from a LDS make that part of the deal when negotiating the price. The shop that I use only uses O2 compatible lubes when servicing regs. When I started using my deco bottle (with 100% O2) I asked and they said I was good to go.

If you are buying new what I would get (and may still end up buying) is a Mk2 DIN with 40-45 inch hose with the 190. If they order it direct from scubapro that way it will save you some money over buying a normal MK2 190 and then buying the DIN conversion and longer hose.

You want the longer hose so that if you sling the bottle on the left (which is the normal way to do it) you can wrap the hose around the back of your neck to breathe out of it - since the hose attaches to the second stage from right.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom