tying knots for bungeed octos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
There is a thread on here about bungeed backup reg. Some said they preferred bungee, some surgical tubing, others use zip ties to secure, and like me, some just use a knotted loop.

I have been diving with my bungged backup for over 1 year and over 100 dives and have ever had any problems with it, no knots coming undone, mouthpiece has always stayed secure, and I use my backup alot with all the OOA drills that I do.

So the point of this post (yes there is one:) ) is that for those of you that want to try the bungee for your backup (this may also work on the surgical tubing) here is a link to a site that shows you how to make the knot.

http://www.mistral.co.uk/42brghtn/knots/42ktfish.html

Originally posted by Wendy
There is a thread on here about bungeed octos.

Just to keep us from getting confused down the line. If you have a necklaced second stage, it's a “backup” not an “octo.”

The term “octo” has been so perverted that it now implies something you donate to an OOA diver, hence the differentiation by calling a necklaced second a “backup.”

Roak

Ps. Octo really referred to what the first stage looked like when you added yet another hose to what was a growing number of hoses at the time! Over time the term mutated to mean the donated second stage.

yah, lotsaluck bungee-ing an octo ...

you have only TWO arms, he/she has EIGHT !!!

You know what I was talking about. But I edited it so as not to cause any confusion.:)

I was hoping someone would teach me how to tie a knot ( I never made it to Boy Scouts)

I tried a dive this past weekend with cord under the ziptie. It held up well until it was actually dive time, and it slipped out on me.

Cheers,
SS

that used grape knots (grapevine knots) instead of the overhand knots. In climbing we don't like things to come untied prematurely, so we use that to make an emergency belay line (18 inches) out of small cord to anchor us to the line when doing rescues etc. While I am familiar with the knot and it's use while climbing (a prussic (SP?)), it caught my eye as I have never seen it done like that on a diver. Given the low stress of the necklace, I am not sure that the extra security afforded by a grape knot is merited.

And Wendy, I understood exactly what you were talking about.

Originally posted by Wendy
You know what I was talking about.
Yes I did, but this board is watched by a lot of divers that are in sponge mode learning lots of stuff that they don't get to hear at their LDS, and it was those I was worried about getting confused down the pike.

Thanks for the change!

Roak

Back
Top Bottom