What do YOU use to protect second stage orifices when you clean them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score

I used chopsticks before, but they are a little hard to find in the round style here. (which is weird for me since I have been using nothing but chopsticks for food most of my life.)I have been experimenting with thick nylon rope tied into knots that are bigger than the orifice opening, but maybe there is some trick I don't know about I am missing.

Swizel sticks are highly recommended, as the former tech trainer for Sherwood used to say, "widely available, costs about $5 and comes in its own anti-septic bath!" I grabbed a handful from a wedding I attended, they lasted me about ten years.

Currently I use hardwood dowels, I get them at the local welding shop. They come in lengths of about a meter, for about half a dollar. I cut them down to about pencil (or chopstick) length.

Hope this helps,

I used chopsticks before, but they are a little hard to find in the round style here. (which is weird for me since I have been using nothing but chopsticks for food most of my life.)I have been experimenting with thick nylon rope tied into knots that are bigger than the orifice opening, but maybe there is some trick I don't know about I am missing.

I personally use a 35mm film case with holes drilled in it and put only the orifice in it cleaning in the ultrasonic.

I don't use a ultra sonic cleaner. A short bath in vinegar followed by a baking soda dip is usually more than enough for most types.
The "gold" scubapro orifices do seem to get the most cruddy and sometimes need more than my crude kitchen technique.

I don't use a ultra sonic cleaner. A short bath in vinegar followed by a baking soda dip is usually more than enough for most types.
The "gold" scubapro orifices do seem to get the most cruddy and sometimes need more than my crude kitchen technique.

I always figured that was because they tend to be in Air2s which get cruddy in general.

Do they crud up in second stages as well? (Do any second stages have the gold orifice thingie?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom