Replacement kit for broken BCD inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobyrne

Registered
Reaction score
In the goshdarn foothills of the Blue Ridge in Nor
# of dives
I have been looking for a product to replace the inflator hose connection on my BC after a friend picked the weighted BC up by the hose and snapped the hose off at the fastener valve, breaking the twist connector. I have seen other inquiries on this forum looking for help in repairing the same sort of problem, so it may affect a few folks. Of course, no one would be foolish enough to break their own inflator (right?)...

Anyway, after long searching, I found a product that looks like it might just do the trick. There is a company based in Singapore that manufactures a repair kit (with video instructions) and they are quite good on the customer service end too. So if you have a problem with your inflator hose, take a look at scuba-fix (SCUBA-FIX) or send an e-mail to Enquiry@scuba-fix.com. Ivan will respond very quickly.

Best regards...

I can't figure out which Jim Carrey movie you're talking about.
He was in one with Maura Tierney and the other with Jeff Daniels.

I don't think I would do a repair on a hose. Why not just replace it? If your patched hose cuts loose at depth, it will empty the tank pretty quickly. In my opinion this is not a DIY item. This is a less than $20 item, why take a chance.

Hello Herb,

Wish it were that simple. It isn't the hose that is broken. It is the attaching ring that is permanently installed within the BC and which provides the base into which the inflator hose screws on. A hose would be easy.

No, if the connector gave out, you would not lose all of your air, just the air in the BC that makes it out through the break. It isn't a case of runaway air because your inflator hose is off unless you press the "blow me up" button. You can always invert and make a lift bag out of your BC.

No one seems to offer a commercial repair service for this problem. I think it is a form of punishment for being dumb enough to bust a connector. Unfortunately, the person who busted mine won't pay the consequences. $80 for a kit or $400 for a new BC.... Hmmm. Hard choice. But you can be sure I will test it well before I rely on it for life support.

Thanks for the come back.

This may provide you a more affordable option: EXP Wings by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

At the bottom of the page is BCD parts including the connector you need to replace. The problem is the size on these things is not one size fits all. Dive Rite and many of the smaller mfgrs use a common size but larger mfgrs tend to use proprietary designs. But if the hole is the same size (or smaller and can be cut) this option may work well and give you more alternatives and a lower price tag.

Recomended revenge:
1- Take your friend and put him a belt with a lot of weights
2- Lay him in floor
2- Strong pull SOME ANATOMIC PART OF HIM like he did with your hose...

hehe...

Serious now: wich material hose ends (rubber, plastic) and which material the inner blade of the BC? Its just de-glued or broken?

This may provide you a more affordable option: EXP Wings by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

At the bottom of the page is BCD parts including the connector you need to replace. The problem is the size on these things is not one size fits all. Dive Rite and many of the smaller mfgrs use a common size but larger mfgrs tend to use proprietary designs. But if the hole is the same size (or smaller and can be cut) this option may work well and give you more alternatives and a lower price tag.

...and here:
Backplate and Wings - Wings/BC Parts - Corrugated Hoses - Elbows - Quick Dumps - Northeast Scuba Supply

Hi mobyrne,
Do you have an update on your experiences with this repair kit from Singapore? I have the same problem with my BCD and it seems a shame to trash it for the sake of a little bit of plastic.

Do you realise that stuff is 95 bucks.

Post some photos.

Give Dive Dive Dive a call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom