BCD valve disassembly - how do you remove the outer nut from the inflator cap nut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While inspecting (and borrowing a part from) a BCD I removed the whole power inflation assembly. This unscrewed easily from the BCD jacket. Doing further research however it didn't disassemble properly. There are 5 basic pieces: Inner nut, Split gasket, Outer nut, Gasket, Quick Dump/Elbow/'cap nut' - which connects to the corrugated hose and power inflator. The Inner nut - split gasket - outer nut are supposed to stay together and keep the bladder and cover as one piece. The gasket is removable, with the QD/Elbow/'cap nut' also as a unit.

The one I unscrewed, the outer nut stayed with the gasket/QD/'cap nut' and I can't get it out. It is still useful this way, but it makes it harder to service and reorient the inflator hose. Does anyone know how to separate them?

There is a BCD valve tool (which I've ordered) but it looks like it is only to securely tighten the inner and outer nuts together - and possibly prevent this problem.

Thanks in advance

Familiar problem,the tool you ordered, was not used properly or the maintenance was to late.
The only thing we came up sofar is to drill 2 holes in the inner nut (opposite to each other) and a pair of pointy plyers and then get it a part.

Good luck.

Tried that. Maybe I'll try again. What do you suggest for holding the 'cap nut' (do you know it's real name - "Elbow Nut") while doing the above. I can replace the outer nut easily, the 'cap nut' looks much harder.

Last edited:
Tigger, if I understand your problem, the elbow is stuck on the outer bladder nut. (due to over torqueing). First try to grip the nut with a strap wrench and unscrew the elbow nut. If no joy, it’s time to employ Master Awap's hot/cold treatment. Put the stuck parts in a bowl of ice water until they are cold soaked. Now pour boiling water over the elbow nut, get the best grip you can on the outer bladder nut and attempt to separate them.

See this link for pictures of the parts we are discussing:

Backplate and Wings - Wings/BC Parts - Oh ****! BC Parts - Northeast Scuba Supply

Couv,

Thanks. I'll try that next time. Northeast Scuba Supply - great resource.

With a little persuasion (gentle, didn't want to break anything) I got them apart. Did the two holes trick (bigger than my first try), needle nose pliers held in a big vise, and a rubber strap wrench (had to sand the strap for grip). Righty tighty, Lefty loosy works.

I want to thank all the people on ScubaBoard that have contributed. I have learned tons, and am having a ball with my DIYing. I've got a project in the works that I'll share - with pictures of each step - when I've got it fully tested. Couldn't have done a lot of this without the great help from all you contributors.

Last edited:
You know those sections of rubber sheet for punching out diaphrams
and for seats and for gripping things in the vice when the aluminium
jaws get a bit scored, well I put a bit on the concrete floor, and then
do a Chubby Checker on top with my foot or with elbows or shoulder
dumps perhaps two feet, and sometimes even two Chubby Checkers

The downward foot pound force relieves the pressure on the threads

Mostly sort of

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom