MK10 SPEC boot vs. trim boot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six2Life

Contributor
Reaction score
So I just picked up a MK10plus conversion kit that included what I thought was a SPEC boot. When I got the kit in my hands the instruction sheet called it a trim boot and it has 5 holes that are indexed to the regs ambient holes by a tab that fits into one of the ambient holes. It appears that this would do nothing for retaining environmental silicone and is for looks only. Also the instruction sheet says nothing about packing the ambient chamber. Anyone ever come across one of these? And more importantly, what is the point?

No need to pack the chamber as there is a white plastic "cup" in the kit that goes around the new piston that is packed.

Which I really wish wasn't missing from my kit.

So was this way of insulating part of scubapro's migration from the SPEC packed ambient chambers to the current TIS system?

I have both the SPEC boot and the trim boot, I guess, because I have some that are solid and one that has holes in it. I assumed that either someone had drilled the holes in it, or that it was a different style that was intended to be installed with the holes offset from the ambient chamber holes to help hold the grease in place. I've never used that boot, I hadn't really even looked at it closely.

I use the solid ones on my sealed MK10s. I used the tribolube environmental PTFE grease. It's worked quite well.

If the boot is tabbed so that the holes line up as you say, I guess it can only be a piece of decoration. BTW, I sent you a PM. If you have any extra M10+ conversion kits, I'd be interested in one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom