Bcd opv asap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
It came to my attention that the rubber circle on my BC's OPV has gone missing. I acquired a replacement OPV, spring, hard plastic plunger, and soft rubber disk. The replacement part, rubber disk, does not press fit onto the plunger and readily falls out. On my single tank rig the OPV rubber disk is press fit into the plunger and does not come out when turned disk down. Should I use adhesive to stick the rubber disk into the plastic plunger? If so, any suggestion? Or should I get another part from a different vendor that is press fit?

Thanks!

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 09:13 PM ----------

Learned proper terminology. The seat falls out of the seat retainer. Should it be glued in or press fit?

I seems that some people are using DOW 111 to keep the seat from falling off the seat retainer. does anybody have experience with this?

Unless I am missing something, Dow 111 is a non-O2 safe silicon grease. I am not sure how this will keep the disk in place. I am thinking Aqua-seal or JB Weld would be better choices to secure the disk to the plunger. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in.

If the disk doesn't fit, you must acquit.

Get the right size disk. If you glue too small a disk in place, what are you going to do next time?

Use Dow 111 (available @ McMastercarr) to 'stick' the disk to the plastic plunger. Dow 111 is what DSS (deepseasupply) uses. It's a sticky, clear grease, NOT a permanent glue. I tried a permanent 'glue' and it didnt work (couldnt get a good air tight seal with it) so I went back to the manufacturer recommendation of DOW 111.

Yeah, I saw that DSS uses silicon. I'll give that a try today. Even though the seat comes out readily, when installed it seems to function completely normal. I assume the benefit of the silicon is that is keeps the seat from being lost when the cage and retainer are removed from the BCD.

Back
Top Bottom