Seatec Manta Overhaul

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wdm

Registered
Reaction score
I have an old Seatec Original Manta that leaks where the inflator hose and CO2 detonator tie into the bladder and outter jacket. I pulled the bladder out and reinstalled the detonator, inflator, and exhaust to test for punctures, found none. I reinstalled the bladder into the BC, applying silicone grease to lubricate CO2, inflator, and exhaust to bladder. It still leaks. When I pulled it down, I noticed that only the inflator hose had a black ring gasket between the inner bladder and the plastic compression piece. Are others supposed to be there and is this in its proper location? I plan on calling Seatec this week, thanks for the posting of the phone number! Any advise will be appreciated.

Your endeavors will be much appreciated! The Seatec repair dept said they would be more than happy to overhaul the BC, but before I go to the expense I'd like to try to tighten it up myself. It appears that a couple of the black rubber gaskets are missing also, meaning I'll have to fabricate them or find an alternate source; Seatec won't sell them. Thanks again!

I have five (5) Seatec BC's all horse collar, one of which I bought new in about 1975. I just did a complete overhaul on that one this weekend, and thoroughly cleaned all of the parts, and lubed with silicone grease before assembling. Leaks. Here's what I know:

New Seatecs used only one rubber washer (on the ones I've disassembled), inside the bladder on the oral inflation hose. I don't know why, since the other valves appear to be the same design.

I don't have a tool to tighten the valve nuts, and I'm afraid of damaging the bladded doing it without a tool.

I'd really like to know how to tighten these things, and whether the rubber washer is necessary, and where it shoudl go.

jv

wdm:
Your endeavors will be much appreciated! The Seatec repair dept said they would be more than happy to overhaul the BC, but before I go to the expense I'd like to try to tighten it up myself. It appears that a couple of the black rubber gaskets are missing also, meaning I'll have to fabricate them or find an alternate source; Seatec won't sell them. Thanks again!

I had the same experience trying to tighten the valve nuts and considered milling a notched tool from delrin or hard rubber. I may do this at a later time. I was able to stop two out of three leaks by using a soft jawed wrench on the nuts, but I too was concerned about puncturing the bladder.

After talking to the service tech @ Seatec, I sent it in. For a minimum of $35 plus shipping, he will do a basic overhaul. It was obvious that they will not sell parts or advise you in DIY repairs, which it seems is consistent with the recreational SCUBA industry. I'll stop before I get on by soapbox!

Good Luck, I'll report back after I get the BCD back from Seatec.

Greatings, New diver here. Just purchased a used SeaTec Marlin BC and it broke on the first dive. (seller refunded half of purchase price even though it was an "as is" sale). Down to business, the inflator hose connector snapped and the hose pulled out of the bladder. I would appreciate an address (USPS) or email for SeaTec so that I can send it in for repair. Phone number would alsobe handy.

Thanks for any response

Dan W.

I have the same problem with my Seatec Original Manta BC, it leaks on the inline regulator, I disassembled it and it looks like its missing some rubber gaskets. I tried to contact seatec at the webpage but it seems that is out of business, the phone is disconected and my emails sent back.
Does anybody know where can I get the repair manual or spare parts?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom