APEKS XTX octo freeflowing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RuFinish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HELP my APEKS XTX octo is freeflowing (I'm in Oman) and i don't have a tool set.
How do i open it?

If you don't find any tools in Oman, you have to open the cover with your hands. Silicone spray could be helpful, but is probably also not at hand.

So try it with a towel, turn it counter clockwise.

If you should be able to open the cover,check for sand, dirt and the lever position. It should be parallel to the rim of the case.

Chances are that one part of the lever is higher than the other causing the free flow. You would need a wrench to get it back in its correct position.

If you cannot open the cover, but you can get a wrench, just turn carefully the heat exchanger a couple of mm counter clockwise and check if the free flow stops.

Good luck:)

A few questions first. Does it freeflow full bore or is it a continuous stream of bubbles? Have you tried putting the venturi lever to the "-" position? Have you tried adjusting the inhalation control knob? When was it last serviced? It can be an IP problem or as stated above some gunk stuck inside. Purge it a few times and rinse it thoroughly. If the problem persists don't try to open the reg or "adjust" the heat exchanger unless you are confident you can put it back together again correctly. If someone qualified (LDS, Reg Tech) is available I think you should defer to him/her.

If the IP is too high then the Primary 2nd stage should free flow as well.
BTW, if the 2nd stage is properly turned then it should free flow slightly when the adjustment knob is completely out counterclockwise to the full positive position!

If the IP is too high then the Primary 2nd stage should free flow as well.
BTW, if the 2nd stage is properly turned then it should free flow slightly when the adjustment knob is completely out counterclockwise to the full positive position!

Why should the 2nd stage free flow as well when the octopus already started free flowing.

To have both 2nd free flowing you would need probably a complete failure of the 1st stage.

It's just that usually the cracking pressure of the octopus is adjusted a bit higher than the one of the primary second.

If this is not the case, also the octopus might be the one which starts free flowing instead of the primary 2nd stage.

any of the dive shops should be able to fix it. Try Eurodivers.

Back
Top Bottom