removing drysuit seal residue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phishphood

Contributor
Reaction score
Moving forward with my project to overhaul a used XCD2 compressed neoprene drysuit. Previous owner cut off the wrist seals which was fine, but they are still glued to the outside of the sleeve and have melted some. It's really darn sticky....I'm getting around to using a heatgun to remove the rest of the latex but still assume there will be some sort of residue on the outside. Since I might end up gluing the new ones inside the sleeve, is there any way to completely remove the latex/adhesive residue from the outside? I've heard MEK a few times but any other thoughts? Not as big an issue for the neck seal since I'll just be gluing a new on on top of that...Thanks guys.

I'm also assuming that the same process to clean the residue would greatly help in gluing in a new zipper.

Including the zipper that is a big project. (Measure the length of the zipper and let me know what it is. I might have a good deal for you on a brand new one.)

The heat gun should get all the latex off, then MEK will clean up the glue enough to get the new seal installed "where the old seal was located". Not sure why you would want to put the seal on the inside?? I would also recommend completely removing the neck seal and not trying to bond to the old seal.

Peter- PM you in a few. Thanks.

I'm looking at installing the SI permanent rings on the suit (potentially) depending if people think I can remove them again later on. Hence I'm trying to remove any and all sticky residue from the outside of the suit. For the neck seal, I meant that it's not as much an issue removing all of the residue (will remove the seal completely) since I will be applying more glue on top of it and a new seal (or just maaaybe an SI neck seal cuff thing).

Peter- PM you in a few. Thanks.

I'm looking at installing the SI permanent rings on the suit (potentially) depending if people think I can remove them again later on.
A heat gun will easily remove them, and they will be reusable.

Hence I'm trying to remove any and all sticky residue from the outside of the suit.
That might be impossible. You could glue something over it to cover it up. I still don't understand why you are trying to glue them to the inside? You might need to glue the rings to the outside, but can't determine that until you get the rings in hand with the seals removed. You may also need to shorten the sleeves a little, but don't take too much. Put the suit on, attached the gloves to the rings, and the rings to well the rings, in other words put the glove system together. Then put your undergarments on and put the suit on. Stick your arms out and see if the sleeves need to be cut.

If you haven't bought gloves yet make sure to get the right size. I find most people get gloves too large than complain about poor dexterity. Make sure to get the correct size. If the liner goes on and your hand fits in the glove it is the right size. I am a medium and stand 5'10" and weight 165lbs. I have a friend that is over 6' and also wears mediums. They should take a little work to get them on and off. Your fingers should touch the tips, and with the liner the fingers shouldn't have much if any extra material.

For the neck seal, I meant that it's not as much an issue removing all of the residue (will remove the seal completely) since I will be applying more glue on top of it and a new seal (or just maaaybe an SI neck seal cuff thing).
Since you want to keep this low budget I would recommend just going with a latex seal. You don't need to remove all the glue as it would be near impossible. A good does of MEK right before applying the new glue will help with adhesion.

A Dremel with a small sanding drum and a very steady hand has always served me well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Dremel with a small sanding drum and a very steady hand has always served me well.

Where do you buy your steady hands?? :)

It was a gift.

Back
Top Bottom