DIN assemblies interchangeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bada3003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Apeks 1st stage DIN connection assemblies are on the expensive side, so tried replacing the Yoke connection assembly on an Apeks DS4 with the DIN assembly from a HOG D1. The HOG D1 DIN is longish compared to the DIN assembly on an Apeks DST but the threads seem to fit. Is this is a safe practice or are there safety/performance issues I should be aware of?

Apeks 1st stage DIN connection assemblies are on the expensive side, so tried replacing the Yoke connection assembly on an Apeks DS4 with the DIN assembly from a HOG D1. The HOG D1 DIN is longish compared to the DIN assembly on an Apeks DST but the threads seem to fit. Is this is a safe practice or are there safety/performance issues I should be aware of?

If the foo ****s, wear it.

If I were a betting man and knowing that Apeks are from the UK a country that uses the Metric System and Hog-Edge are from the USA a country that uses the Imperial System I might be concerned that ya put an imperial threaded unit into a metric threaded unit and that while they might appear to be solid they are not. Further, I might be concerned that the unit is question is going to be pointed smack dab into the middle of my feeble brain under a couple thousand pounds of pressure. Otherwise yer good to go if you can get an air seal.

Last edited:
If the foo ****s, wear it.

My inclination as well.

---------- Post added August 28th, 2014 at 11:10 PM ----------

If were a betting man and knowing that Apeks are from the UK which uses the Metric System and Hog-Edge are from the USA which uses the Imperial System I might be concerned that ya put an imperial threaded unit into a metric threaded unit and that while they might appear to be solid they are not. Further, I might be concerned that the unit is question is going to be pointed smack dab into the middle of my feeble brain under a couple thousand pounds of pressure. Otherwise yer good to go.

I dive sidemount so it's a tad less dramatic (grazing projectile wounds). FWIW, just took my caliper and took measurements. Both seem "nearly" identical: 0.6175" diameter at thread groove, 0.6385" max diameter. Of course, manual measurements are inherently inaccurate. I was hoping that interchanging DIN assemblies was a known practice and part of the know-how pool.

I dive sidemount so it's a tad less dramatic (grazing projectile wounds). FWIW, just took my caliper and took measurements. Both seem "nearly" identical: 0.6175" diameter at thread groove, 0.6385" max diameter. Of course, manual measurements are inherently inaccurate. I was hoping that interchanging DIN assemblies was a known practice and part of the know-how pool.

Interchanging* is not the issue if the threads are the same. My post was mostly to make you do yer homework. I have no idea what measuring system Edge-Hog or Apex are made under. That said M25 and 3/4" NPS threads are almost identical and there have been cases of the wrong one being used: HSE - Mismatching valve threads

*That said what you may find with the interchanged parts is that you do not get the proper air seal. The mechanical seal may be just fine. But you need both.

i'm 99% sure that the metric vs. imperial is true in this case, they're not going to fit. Spend the $65 on the right one from Apeks

Thanks for the pointer to the article. It seems without a special thread gauge or specs from the two manufacturers there is no way to know. Unlike the case described in the article where the 25-mm threaded cylinder valve felt loose until screwed in halfway, that doesn't seem to be the case for the HOG DIN assembly but it's just a subjective impression.

Interchanging* is not the issue if the threads are the same. My post was mostly to make you do yer homework. I have no idea what measuring system Edge-Hog or Apex are made under. That said M25 and 3/4" NPS threads are almost identical and there have been cases of the wrong one being used: HSE - Mismatching valve threads

*That said what you may find with the interchanged parts is that you do not get the proper air seal. The mechanical seal may be just fine. But you need both.

i'm 99% sure that the metric vs. imperial is true in this case, they're not going to fit. Spend the $65 on the right one from Apeks

As probably most on this DIY group, I too have spent chunks of dough on scuba related equipment so $65 per se is not a factor in comparison. Nonetheless, on principles, I'm not going to shell out $65 for a DIN assembly when a new SP/Hollis DIN assemblies costs (almost) half as much. Given the potential safety concerns, will continue to reply mostly on MK17 and Hollis 212 for cold water diving. Too bad given the stellar reputation of Apeks as cold water regs.

---------- Post added August 29th, 2014 at 03:35 PM ----------

it'll be proven when you try to put the yoke on the HOG first stage, you'll see that it won't fit.

Good idea. Tried it and fits fine: can't detect difference compared to HOG DIN.

interesting, I know they aren't compatible on the D2 when I tried, but maybe the D1's have a different DIN assembly? Couldn't imagine they would, but it's possible..... One option you could do is run to a local hydraulic shop and see if they can tell you what thread size they are.

Back
Top Bottom