How do you clean scuba tools for use on O2-clean equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A lot of the tools needed for servicing scuba equipment, e.g., these officially recommended wrenches, are greasy with some sort of oily substance that probably contains lots of hydrocarbons and needs to be removed before touching the equipment. I would assume that if I just drop these tools in an ultrasonic bath, it will remove the protective layer and cause them to rust or not function properly. What do you do instead, apply an O2-safe lube on the tools?

simple green

I realize this may be a dumb question, but let that not stop me from asking... no lube needed after a bath in simple green, will the tools not rust and get hard to operate? For most of these things, I have no clue what materials are used, but I think many are carbon steel, which seems prone to rust. Thanks!

If they are kept in a controlled environment, They should not rust. I prefer dry over any kind of lubricant due to the fact that lubricant will cause dust etc. to stick more readily.

Store such tools in a plastic container with a bucket of "damp rid" or other moisture absorbent if you are overly concerned.

A lot of the tools needed for servicing scuba equipment, e.g., these officially recommended wrenches, are greasy with some sort of oily substance that probably contains lots of hydrocarbons and needs to be removed before touching the equipment. I would assume that if I just drop these tools in an ultrasonic bath, it will remove the protective layer and cause them to rust or not function properly. What do you do instead, apply an O2-safe lube on the tools?
why do you think tools are oily? good quality tools do not have an "oily protective layer". they come clean and dry. hand tools do not require any type of "lube" to function.

there is also no need for special storage. just keep them clean and relatively dry and you should have no problems.

if your tools are oily, or covered in rust, then you have bought poor quality tools or abused them.

Even still I am kinda anal about when I service regs to be O2 clean (which means all of them) so I wipe down the tools with a clean soft cloth if it's been a couple weeks since I have used them. Even though they get stored in clean plastic containers and kept away from water. My stainless steel mesh baskets for use in the ultrasonic and washing get washed in dishwashing liquid, rinsed, and dried with air from a tank.

Thanks again, everyone! To clarify, by greasy I did not mean General Tso's Chicken greasy, just having a bit of a smell, and not feeling bone dry as you slide a finger. I treated a bunch of them to an ultrasonic bath in Simple Green followed by a hair dryer, they seem better now, they landed in a plastic bag. Knotical, the wrench I mentioned seems to be recommended, e.g., in this PDF document. I don't know how "official" it is, but a few instructors who teach HOG repair class I found point to the same... I'd assume it comes from the secret HOG service manual that I have yet to lay my hands on.

It's not the official wrench. It's just one that works that is recommended by some. I have some similar ones I got at a direct tools outlet for about ten bucks each. I also have several craftsman 6 inch crescents I put on the Bridgeport with an end mill and they work just as well. What they are for is the thin nut on the second stage when putting the hose on. Helps to keep from over tightening and cracking the case. A thin open end wrench of the right size will do just as well. I have a program to cut some of those on the water jet when I get the time and the material. But the adjustables do come in handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom