Scubapro Mk5 old 2 LP turret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mick allein III

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All I just got the necessary tools and service kit for the SP MK 5. I'm looking to clean and service it. Eventually I want to use in my pony.

Any advice on doing this. Anything in particular I should be looking out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I recall, one thing to watch for is on some of the older ones that only had 2 lp ports, the swivel was held in place by a clip. This clip could wear over time and I think the recommendation is to replace the swivel with a new one.

Older Mk5s can be a problem. It can be very hard to find 4LP or 5LP port turrets if 2 is not enough (or you can add an extender. They usually have the light yoke which may not handle 3000psi but that can be replaced. They also usually have a single 3/8" HP port which may require an adapter to accept a modern HP hose. When I purchase one of these, I will not pay more than about $10 and then put it in my spare parts bin.

If you are looking for a good pony regulator, you would probably be better off with a Mk2/3/200 from a reliability, weight and hose routing standpoint. You still need to watch the yoke and size of the HP port. They are not too hard to find and usually a little cheaper than a good Mk5.

Awap this is very helpful. I had read about the yoke thing. Can you explain this further? What happens to the MK5 when on 3000psi? How would I know if I have a light yoke? I'm assuming the MK5 is a later model than MK 2. Did the MK2 have the same yoke problem? I'd send you pictures but I'm out of town.

Awap this is very helpful. I had read about the yoke thing. Can you explain this further? What happens to the MK5 when on 3000psi? How would I know if I have a light yoke? I'm assuming the MK5 is a later model than MK 2. Did the MK2 have the same yoke problem? I'd send you pictures but I'm out of town.

Over time, Scubapro produced 3 yokes. Early production was a light yoke with 3/8ths inch screw. Tank pressures then were less than 2500 psi. Some folks still use that yoke on 3000 psi tanks but I doubt it will handle much more. The problem is the yoke frame may distort resulting in a leak.

Then there is an intermediate yoke with a 7/16th inch yoke screw. It is about the same shape but b bit heavier. The base of this yoke is stamped with "3000". Scubapro says it should not be used above 2475 psi but I still use mine on a 3000 psi pony.

This is a pic of the intermediate version: Scubapro Mark V MK5 109 Brass Pressure Gauge Vintage Tech Wreck Regulator | eBay

This is the light version: Scuba Diving Regulator Scubapro MK5 Just Serviced Nice Read Details | eBay

And the heavy version: Scuba Diving Regulator Scubapro MK5 Just Serviced Late Model Read Details | eBay

The Mk2 and Mk3 went through the same evolution.

Early two port MK5's had a clip retaining the turret and later ones had the same turret bolt as all later MK5 versions. If your regulator is the E-clip version make sure you reinstall the clip with the sharp edge of the clip facing the balance chamber.

IMG_4672.jpgIMG_4673.jpg

Back
Top Bottom