O2 Clean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Do any of you regulator gurus know if a SpareAir regulator can be O2 cleaned? I’m sure it can be washed with degreaser, but are the seats, internals, etc., compatible with 100% O2?

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know that the SpareAir instills a false sense of security, only newbs with more money than sense carry them, not a replacement for a buddy, aren’t necessary with proper gas management...

I’m investigating using one in a non-conventional manner that I would rather not publicize at this time. For my application, the integrated first- and second-stage SpareAir regulator would be very beneficial, but it will have to be safe with 100% O2.

I didn't do a search, but I'm willing to bet this question hasn't been asked before. :wink:

Thanks,

3dent:
Do any of you regulator gurus know if a SpareAir regulator can be O2 cleaned? I’m sure it can be washed with degreaser, but are the seats, internals, etc., compatible with 100% O2?

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I know that the SpareAir instills a false sense of security, only newbs with more money than sense carry them, not a replacement for a buddy, aren’t necessary with proper gas management...

I’m investigating using one in a non-conventional manner that I would rather not publicize at this time. For my application, the integrated first- and second-stage SpareAir regulator would be very beneficial, but it will have to be safe with 100% O2.

I didn't do a search, but I'm willing to bet this question hasn't been asked before. :wink:

Thanks,

I O2 cleaned on of the old 1800 psi ones, it was a snap.

Spare Death comes in a nitrox version, so the parts must be available if they're even different.

I never dove with it, but it was great for hangovers.

Keysdrifter454:
Spare Death comes in a nitrox version, so the parts must be available if they're even different.

Thanks for the info. I knew about the Nitrox version, but Nitrox clean doesn't necessarily mean O2 clean, does it? Since the Nitrox version is meant to be cross-filled from a Nitrox tank (i.e. no partial-pressure mixing inside the unit itself), I didn't think that it would necessarily have all internals (seats, o-rings, etc.) safe for pure O2.

SA is mostly aluminum. There were some fires and recalls not too long ago for alu med O2 regs. Regs being alu are more of a prob than tanks because they have small convoluted passages and soft materials that can act as kindling. 3000 psi just makes it that much worse. Hard to say without knowing your application, but you ought to be able to find something better.

For some reason I'm hearing "I'll keep it on my BC so I can use it during safety stops.."

:eyebrow:

jonnythan:
For some reason I'm hearing "I'll keep it on my BC so I can use it during safety stops.."

Excellent deco tank...hangs better than a Luxfer

oxyhacker:
SA is mostly aluminum. There were some fires and recalls not too long ago for alu med O2 regs. Regs being alu are more of a prob than tanks because they have small convoluted passages and soft materials that can act as kindling. 3000 psi just makes it that much worse. Hard to say without knowing your application, but you ought to be able to find something better.

Thanks for the info. Guess i'll look elsewhere.

jonnythan:

Thought your doctor told you to quit listening to those voices...

O2 on the safety stop ain't a bad idea, but not what I was intending.

anything (not literally) can be O2 cleaned. Aluminum will oxidize in a pure O2 environment and create particles which can lead to particle impingement. This will only happen with improper care. So, yes you can O2 clean it - in theory... make sure you can get the necessary replacement components where required (o-rings, etc). You would have to break it down - completely. Of course you will need suitable detergent and grease. Nitrox compatible does not mean O2 clean. Regulatory governance has chosen 40% as the limiting concentration of O2 for nitrox. Unless you are PP blending, no special cleaning is required for up to 40%.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom