yearly maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

randnon

Reaction score
Hello my name is Rich and I am new to scuba board. I just got my gear back for its annual servise and felt ripped off , $350.00 for warrenty maintaince on 2 sets of scubapro gear. I am an advanced capable mechanic and want to do it myself. can any one help me locate a good parts source. Thanks for any help , Rich

The SP recommended close-to-salt-water rate for labor on an annual service is about $25.00 per stage. So a first/second/octo should run no more than $75.00 per regulator for labor, and the parts should be free under warranty.

Checking over a BC should also not cost more than $25.00 and we usually give a once over for free if they come in with a reg for service. So I would agree that you got screwed to the tune of about $200.

SP parts can be found on e-bay but other options are limited as SP keeps a fairly tight rein on parts sales. L-P imports grey market regs, but so far they do not sell grey market parts.

Did you purchase the regs from that shop or were they punishing you for purchasing elsewhere? $200.00 would be a bit on the high side. $350.00 is rediculous. I'd be talking to the shop about a refund. He should understand that the extra 150 to 200 that he made from you can easily be offset many times over by the loss of your business as well many you might tell of your experience.

The effort to get started doing your own is not trivial but tools, know-how, and parts are available with a reasonable investment. What model SP regs are you looking at?

awap:
Did you purchase the regs from that shop or were they punishing you for purchasing elsewhere? $200.00 would be a bit on the high side. $350.00 is rediculous. I'd be talking to the shop about a refund. He should understand that the extra 150 to 200 that he made from you can easily be offset many times over by the loss of your business as well many you might tell of your experience.

The effort to get started doing your own is not trivial but tools, know-how, and parts are available with a reasonable investment. What model SP regs are you looking at?
I did not purchase the regs their , but have purchased 3 steel tanks ,2 wet suits and a trip. My equipment is SP mk25/600 and SP air2 on a SP clasic plus bcd. They were purchased where I took my lessons. Their is a group of us (8) that dive together and all have the same gear , tools and knowledge can be spread out. Thanks for your responce. Rich

randnon:
My equipment is SP mk25/600 and SP air2 on a SP clasic plus bcd... There is a group of us (8) that dive together and all have the same gear , tools and knowledge can be spread out.
To do the job right with a Mk 25 S600 and an Air 2, you need some specialty tools:

(all prices through Peterbuilt tools - www.scubatools.com)

Scubapro multitool $31.50
Balance chamber adjustment tool $39.00
Air 2 Spider #2 $24.50
Air 2 Exhaust seat slider $7.50
Brass Piston Bullet $5.25
Mk 20 Assembly tool $12.50
0-ring picks $6.00
Inline adjustment tool $59.00
with add on IP gauge add $21.00
First stage handle $18.00
1" yoke nut socket $20.00

Magnahelic Gauge - $50 to $285

Peterbuilt sells a combination magnahelic gauge, IP gauge and stand for $285. I use a portable set up from Global (www.GMCscuba.com) at home and on the boat which would be a lot more convenient if you are sharing among freinds. However you should be able to find just the magnahelic gauge for under $100 and could probably find it for half that on E-bay. A range of either -2 to 2 or -5 to 5 inches of water will work but be careful on e-bay as there are a lot of different magnahelic gauges with different ranges and fittings used for non scuba applications.

Plus you should also add either Pete Wolfinger's Scuba Savvy or the Airspeed press book on reg repair. Both will run you $50.00.

So your cost for specialty tools will run about $300 plus whatever you decide to get for a magnahelic gauge.

You will need to pick up some Christolube which will run another $25-$30 for a 2 oz tube. You will also need some basic hand tools including wrenches, allen wrenches, a torque wrench with a suitable range (you will be torquing things from about 6 ft pounds to 25 ft pounds), a 3" socket extension, snap ring pliers and various screw drivers.

If you need to buiy most of these, it will cost you another $100-$200 so the total investment in tools can approach $500 to $600. But split 8 ways, it would be much cheaper than paying $175 per reg set for annual service.

Parts will be a larger problem as SP keeps pretty tight control on parts distribution. They are available on e-bay but are not always current parts and are usually inventory from closed dive shops or dealers who have dropped or lost their SP dealership so avalability tends to be sporadic and prices tend to be about twice what they should be. Schematics and repair guides are equally restricted and hard to obtain.

The cautionary statement here is that while reg repair is not rocket science, it does require a degree of mechanical apptitude and some specific knowledge and techniques of tool use, rep repair, reg operation theory and reg testing. Ideally, you should find someone in your area who knows what they are doing to show you the ropes.

randnon:
I did not purchase the regs their , but have purchased 3 steel tanks ,2 wet suits and a trip. My equipment is SP mk25/600 and SP air2 on a SP clasic plus bcd. They were purchased where I took my lessons. Their is a group of us (8) that dive together and all have the same gear , tools and knowledge can be spread out. Thanks for your responce. Rich

This source is in GE and will not ship to the US:
http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/default.php?cPath=79_88

But if you know anyone in Europe, you should be able to ship to a European address & then forward. You would have to ask on the Air2 kit which they do not list but may carry. Then again they seem to be tech guy who might have nothing to do with that evil death trap. (I still like mine.) Seat in the Air2 is the same as that in an R190/380 kit but you will also eventually need the new seal for the QD. I have been able to match std O-rings to all SP applications except the 2.2 x 1mm rings that seal the poppet in the balance chamber. I have found a source for these but have not tried it yet. I stretch my supply by using a new o-ring only on the end position where the sealing must occur. The other ring seems to be a "scraper" to keep the first one from being damaged by dirt. I use an old used o-ring in that position and bank the second new one.

awap:
This source is in GE and will not ship to the US:
http://www.deepstop.de/catalog/default.php?cPath=79_88

But if you know anyone in Europe, you should be able to ship to a European address & then forward. You would have to ask on the Air2 kit which they do not list but may carry. Then again they seem to be tech guy who might have nothing to do with that evil death trap. (I still like mine.) Seat in the Air2 is the same as that in an R190/380 kit but you will also eventually need the new seal for the QD. I have been able to match std O-rings to all SP applications except the 2.2 x 1mm rings that seal the poppet in the balance chamber. I have found a source for these but have not tried it yet. I stretch my supply by using a new o-ring only on the end position where the sealing must occur. The other ring seems to be a "scraper" to keep the first one from being damaged by dirt. I use an old used o-ring in that position and bank the second new one.
Thanks for the input, at least this gives me an idea on the cost of parts ect. Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom