5/13 Conditions Update: Chatfield Kingfisher Ponds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syonker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Gang,

Mpscubatoytech, a friend and I dove Chatfield's Kingfisher ponds in the late afternoon yesterday up until dusk. Thought a conditions update might be valuable for folks, so am posting one here...

Chatfield is getting better. There are definitely two significant thermo clines right now. One is at around 10/11 feet above which it was consistently in the high 50's and below which is 55 degrees consistently. The second thermo cline appears to be at roughly 20 feet and drops to the low 50's - I had 52 degrees, and I think Mpscubatoytech had 50 or so.

Based on what we've seen over the past few weeks, the water in the local reservoirs is rising in temp about 5 degrees every 1.5 to 2 weeks. However, at some point here that will accelerate with the temperature. It's supposed to be close to in the 90's next week. (Yuk - I *hate* heat). :cool2:

Vis was interesting. Near the bottom, it was literally blocking out all light. I couldn't see the Oxycheq light in front of my face. Above 12 feet it was beautiful - with the water having this pretty blue-green quality and at least 20ish feet of vis (I have *never* seen Chatfield water in that condition before - we've had really good vis with possibly even more distance clarity, but it was just such a neat color). Between the bottom and about 12' deep it was roughly 5-8 feet of vis, rapidly degrading toward the bottom.

We may have someone go again next week sometime in the evening/night to check progress - get a hold of Mpscubatoytech or me if you're interested.

-S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom