Blue Hole, May 9-10 Rocky Mountain Oysters Scubaboard dive, all are welcome

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

probably can't make this trip, but was curious if you guys do this wet or dry at this time of year.

probably can't make this trip, but was curious if you guys do this wet or dry at this time of year.

The water temperature at the Blue Hole is pretty much the same year round. The water temperature deep in nearby Rock Lake is pretty much the same year round, but the top layer gets very warm in late summer and early fall. A 7mm wet suit will be good for a 2-3 dives in a day any time of the year, IMO. After that, I think you will be too chilled. I always use a dry suit there.

I can't come on this trip, but I will be trying one for either the end of may or beginning of June.

Too bad you can't make it, hope to dive Rock Lake with you some time Boulderjohn. Drysuit is recommended but not necessary for the Blue Hole which runs 63 degrees year round, plenty of folks dive it in 7mm wetsuits. Hope you can make it Diverjen.

So far the plan is to dive Blue Hole Friday afternoon including a night dive, then dive Perch Lake Saturday morning and possibly do a BBQ at the Hole Sat. around noon.

The more the merrier, Tom

I'm surprised all the anti Blue Hole silverfish aren't coming out of the woodwork!

I'm surprised all the anti Blue Hole silverfish aren't coming out of the woodwork!

I am not familiar with this reference. What do you mean?

There are people in these forums that have never dove "Blue Hole" but go through great lengths to discourage diving it and go out of their way to discredit it...Hence "Anti Blue Hole."

Silverfish (Lespisma sacchrina): Nuisance insect.

There are people in these forums that have never dove "Blue Hole" but go through great lengths to discourage diving it and go out of their way to discredit it...Hence "Anti Blue Hole."

Silverfish (Lespisma sacchrina): Nuisance insect.

There are places called "the Blue Hole" all over the world. When I see threads about the one in Belize, I often see detractors. I have never seen anyone deriding the one in Santa Rosa, New Mexico. The New Mexico Blue Hole is not nearly as famous as the one in Belize, and Jacques Cousteau has never filmed it. It is a dinky little thing by comparison, but since it is the only diving available to the general public for hundreds of miles in all directions, and since it does not get a whole lot of hype, people pretty much take it for what it is and do not glorify it beyond all reason. For that reason, it does not draw a lot of derision.

Are you perhaps thinking of the Blue Hole in Belize?

You got me...I stand corrected. Yes, I was thinking Blue Hole Belize. Too bad I wasn't closer, I would respectfully request to join you for the dive.

Have a good/safe one.

Back
Top Bottom