Santa Rosa diving end of August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am planning a trip to Santa Rosa the last weekend of diving. It will include instruction and general diving. If you are interested, let me know.

We plan to arrive in the afternoon of 8/28 and get in at least one dive at the Blue Hole, maybe 2, before heading for bed. That will probably be (at least) the AOW night dive for the AOW students we are bringing. The next day we will do 3 AOW dives, but probably other dives as well. (We can only do 3 training dives per class per day.) We will finish the AOW class on Sunday morning.

Sunday afternoon, Monday, and Tuesday morning will be devoted to technical diving training at Rock Lake. We will be doing several training dives at normal recreational depths, and we will be doing some decompression dives. This is early technical training, so it will not be too deep--no helium mixes.

I will be bringing an oxygen supply bottle, so I will be able to make nitrox for people with properly O2 cleaned tanks.

This can be a good time for recreational divers to get certifications that are often hard to get, especially AOW and deep diver. We will have two instructors for the Blue Hole segment, so we can accommodate several classes.

It is also a good time for technical divers to get some of those hard-to-find technical dives. Just let me know if you want to come and join us. We can work out the dive details once we know who is coming.

One question I have is does Stella pump O2 clean air or do you have another source of air?

Not that I'll be back in town that weekend.

That's the million dollar question.

There is not a whole lot of that (hyper clean air) going on anywhere in the Rocky Mountains. Tech divers have been using her air for decades, including the one who works with her compressor.

I'm interested in doing a couple of rec dives at Rock Lake. Probably stick to 100 feet or less, I don't like diving deeper on air.

It looks like we will be doing some OW and AOW instruction at the Blue Hole this Friday night through Sunday morning, with a more serious dive or two Saturday afternoon. The plan is to move to Rock Lake Sunday afternoon through Tuesday morning. Let me know if you are interested. I especially have someone interested in carpooling down from the Denver area.

That's the million dollar question.

There is not a whole lot of that (hyper clean air) going on anywhere in the Rocky Mountains. Tech divers have been using her air for decades, including the one who works with her compressor.
We have been supplying Hyper clean air since the late 90's. All you need is to have your SCUBA air pass through a hyper filter. Here's a link: Hyper filter

Night photo I shot of the Santa Rosa Blue Hole.

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 12.27.26 AM.jpg

And an editorial on our expedition

Santa Rosa Blue Hole Expedition

Reactions: g2
Curt,

Thanks for that. Can you talk about what happened after that?

The cave was opened up, we were told, by Colorado divers associated with your group. They apparently shot videos inside the cave. A grate was put over the opening, which was now otherwise accessible. Then the Santa Rosa government decided to seal it all up again. That action surprised me. As a cave diver who normally has to go all the way to Mexico or Florida to dive, this looked like a potentially attractive site for me and others like me. Consdiering the depressed economic condition of the community, I would have thought that would be a good thing.

Blue Hole will be closed to divers September 4-6 2015. It's for a biker rally that the city hall folks wanted. Makes no sense to me because a biker isn't going to go jump in blue hole. Please pass the word along since Santa Rosa government hasn't advertised it. It would be terrible for someone to drive from way out of town and not get to dive.

Blue Hole will be closed to divers September 4-6 2015. It's for a biker rally that the city hall folks wanted. Makes no sense to me because a biker isn't going to go jump in blue hole. Please pass the word along since Santa Rosa government hasn't advertised it. It would be terrible for someone to drive from way out of town and not get to dive.
Good grief! Why don't you start a new thread for better exposure. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom