Dive-in and Party in Santa Rosa NM - April 24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
But keep the partying reasonable. Gotta' be well rested and hyrdrated for repeat Altitude diving the next morning....

Nothing formal here, but we have a growing number of SB members (whom I'm discretely not naming here) and others meeting there, then. If you live driving distance to the TX,NM,CO,OK,KS corners area, then you probably know the Turn Blue Hole, yes? Some will be training, some will just be staying in practice, some will be there because the others are, and - I'm sure it'll be warmer than when I was there in February!

If you don't know the area, look here: http://www.santarosanm.org/

I've got a few rooms booked at the Best Western Adobe Inn, so if you can't find a good rate on your own - PM me about one of mine. Stay there, or - there's cheaper available, and nothing is far from anything in this tiny town. More rooms: http://www.santarosanm.org/lodging.htm

My current plan is to be there Saturday in time for lunch, then dive The Hole, then - after we've had time to have the gate unlocked, to dive the plane at Perch Lake. Remember, this is a 4,600 foot altitude dive, at 62 degree F!! Allow for the differences. For more information: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=47904&highlight=altitude

Dinner is from the menu at Joseph's Bar & Grill; 865 Historic Route 66; Phone: 472 3361 - but I have the Disco reserved from 7pm on. Dancing will breakout afterwards.

For last minutes contacts, call me at 806-292-0009.

DandyDon:
snip..
My current plan is to be there Saturday in time for lunch, then dive The Hole, then - after we've had time to have the gate unlocked, to dive the plane at Perch Lake.

Cool, I think I can make it and visit with the gang. Curious thou, what do you mean about having the gate unlocked? They (some road construction slackers) are still working on the main road into Blue Hole area, you have to take the back way in still. However Perch is not a problem and is usually better viz this time if year. Before the algae bloom as kicked off.

ABQdiver:
Cool, I think I can make it and visit with the gang. Curious thou, what do you mean about having the gate unlocked? They (some road construction slackers) are still working on the main road into Blue Hole area, you have to take the back way in still. However Perch is not a problem and is usually better viz this time if year. Before the algae bloom as kicked off.

They keep a gate to Perch Lake locked, but Stella should be able get it unlocked for us. First time I dive it, we parked in the adjacent pasture, crawled over the barbwire fence, and humped everything down - then back up - the hill.

Glad to hear you're coming...!! :dazzler1: Bring others...!

don

Ohhh how fun, this is going to be a dive fest at the hole. I'm doing Rescue training that weekend and another Denver shop will be there doing the same. Not that it isn't a circus anyway.
My brother and I are staying at the Sun and Sands, look for the big Charcole Grey Dodge 4x4 quad cab with the shark mural on the back window.
If I'm at the hole, I will have a big cannopy up behind the truck. If it's cold, drop by and hang out by the 200000 BTU heater I will have cranked up. I may even have some Coffee brewed. Ok, so I like to to have the cushy life.
Depends on what time we get out of the water Saturday, I would love to go dive the lake with you guys. We won't actually log any bottom time doing the Rescue stuff on Sat, so we can do some afterwords.
Greg

PS, I didn't think Stella had a key. I know her husband hasn't worked for the city in a long time. I'll ask her when I get there Friday. Any one interested, we are getting there Friday afternoon to do some nite dives in the hole before it gets stirred up.

Great, I'm glad you can join us (or we could join you).
I drive a white Toyota double cab with a headache rack. Usually park over at the Southeast section under the trees. Hopefully the weather will be better than its been around lately. Heck, there's a chance of snow here tonight. But by that weekend it had better clear up.
If your doing your Rescue class you will probably be busy until early afternoon at least. Sounds like it will work out fine.

See you there.

Dr. Frankenmule:
Ohhh how fun, this is going to be a dive fest at the hole. I'm doing Rescue training that weekend and another Denver shop will be there doing the same. Not that it isn't a circus anyway.
My brother and I are staying at the Sun and Sands, look for the big Charcole Grey Dodge 4x4 quad cab with the shark mural on the back window.
If I'm at the hole, I will have a big cannopy up behind the truck. If it's cold, drop by and hang out by the 200000 BTU heater I will have cranked up. I may even have some Coffee brewed. Ok, so I like to to have the cushy life.
Depends on what time we get out of the water Saturday, I would love to go dive the lake with you guys. We won't actually log any bottom time doing the Rescue stuff on Sat, so we can do some afterwords.
Greg

PS, I didn't think Stella had a key. I know her husband hasn't worked for the city in a long time. I'll ask her when I get there Friday. Any one interested, we are getting there Friday afternoon to do some nite dives in the hole before it gets stirred up.

Hey Greg! I carry two thermoses and try to have plenty of DeCaf and Hot Chocolate, as well as a 5 gallon insulated jug of warm water to pour down a wet suit, but - if it's cold, I want to rent space by your heater! Gawd, but those Colorado divers know how to do The Hole!

Didn't know that Stella was married; never came up in my air rentals. She always seemed to know who to call to unlock the gate, but then - it is a tiny town. I could bring wire cutters and fence mending equipment, but I hate to. I'll call ahead on that.

Kevin - glad you can make it! I'm bringing a new suit and boots I bought for the Calf trip you couldn't make. :wink:

Yeah, Stella's husband is sick and has been for years. He left the city about two years ago. He was the Parks Dept. guy that ran everything for a long time. In fact, his name is the one on their web page as the contact for the hole. Stella bought out the city probably six or so years ago, so that little business is her own (she leases the building, that's why she doesn't work on it). Her husband is in their house next to her shop.

Yeah, I like to go the extra yard to be comfortable. Last time I was there, I had 6 OW students hanging out next to the heater.
I think we are going to try and go to the lake with you guys. We are doing a deep nitrox dive first thing Saturday morning, then our training. I want to do two more dives Saturday as well. My brother is doing a night specialty Saturday, so we have to be careful of our times.
Like I said, we will be doing a couple dives in the hole Friday night as well. We should roll into town by 4:30 at the latest. Anyone is welcome to join us. We will be hanging out on the bottom watching the moon (I hope).

Just spoke with Stella. She says the gate to Perch is open. Some of the Air Academy kiddos went out there last weekend in their 3 mils and froze. I'll bet! I'm taking my 7 mil and beanie!

It snow here this morning, but hopefully the jet stream will get back to normal and stay there - giving us nicer weather. That's the short term forecast for now, too.

Stella said the bridge is still torn up; if we want in the front lot, we need to take the back road, about a mile further south.

Dr.F - which parking lot are you and your heater setting up in...?!

I come in from the baseball fields and park on the grassy area next to the creek. I have a carpet down, so I don't get too much dead grass on my stuff.

Debbie, the bar manager at Joseph's, was off last night, but - spoke with her tonight, to confirm that we will indeed eating & dancing there, so she'll be sure to have it open and staffed. BTW, minors are allowed to eat in the bar until 9pm, according to New Mexico law.

:59: Majors can party on after 9pm... :partytime

Back
Top Bottom