2012 Exercise and Fitness Challenge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

colby

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, it's been a while since I was active in this forum, and especially this sub-group. I've been doing some reading, and I see that Scuba_Jenny has been pretty dedicated for the last year, so I'm jumping back in.

I've done pretty well since Labour Day (lost 26 pounds), then gained a few over the holidays (still hanging onto 4 of them). My goal is to be under 200lbs by the end of May, and to increase my physical activity at the same time. I've signed up for the 5K run for the Ottawa Race Weekend which is on the last weekend in May, which lines up with my goal.

My fitness plan is to continue with the regime I started a couple of months ago, spinning Mon-Wed-Fri and running Tues-thurs (all indoors as it is well below freezing here now), moving outside when the weather is better and I can ride the bike to work again.

The most important thing is that I am having fun with it, and getting healthier at the same time.

Good luck to all this year!

Thanks Colby for starting this thread! You've done awesome! Congrats! And you are right. . have fun. if it becomes boring you are more likely to quit.

Have you tried the couch to 5K program? Lovingly referred to as C25K. I know a few people who have done it and they were pleasantly surprised that they were able to run the 5k without stopping. Oh, and it's free.. do an internet search. I think the coolrunning website was the first..

As for me, I really want(ed) to the A1A half marathon next month. I would be running in my VFFs. I've gone to the website 3 times now, and for some reason still undefined, I have not signed up.. So, barring anything else happening that day, I want to run it by myself..

Jenny,

Thanks for the encouragement. I've seen that program, and there's a few apps for my phone for it also. I'm up over 5K now (did 12K last week), I only wanted to do the 5K as it's my first race, and only requires a half-hour (or so) commitment on a Saturday evening.

Did you get yourself signed up yet for the marathon? I know the one here (same weekend) is 45% sold out and the half marathon is 84% sold out, they tend to go really quickly!

I'm passing on the half I wanted to do. Something to do with money.. drat.. I am planning on running a half that morning though, at the park, that is if I don't go diving! LOL

Glad you hear you are up there in miles! That's awesome. Would love to get there. Did a little over 5 miles the other day, which equals about 8K... 12k is awesome! You will do very well on your first 5K! Will be like a warmup!

Been working on run-by-feel, going slow builds up the core and eventually you run faster. It also means listening to your body, and doing what the body wants instead of what I want. Hmmm. The result is that I've done a lot of slow runs, and only every couple weeks pick up the pace. Yesterday was such a day. I rode 4 miles on the bike in the morning at a pretty good clip, got home, grabbed the pups and their leashes and took off for a nice mile and a half faster paced run. I tried to keep it pretty steady, and pick it up at the end. I was huffin' and puffin' by then! Good workout!

Whoo hoo big running week for me. About 13.5 miles this week! I think that's a record!!

Nice!

Have you tried introducing some intervals into the runs? Like run steady for a couple of minutes and then pick up the pace for 30 seconds or so and then drop back down into your jog. Slowly work up the intevals, or vary them by doing ratios of 1:1, 1:2, 1:3 and so on.

I was doing some of that this past summer. But now, it's run by feel. If I my body wants to do that, I will. Mostly I do my sprints when the dogs are off leash. This past week was different in that I had a foster that I couldn't let off leash.
Finally got some plate weights so I can put some weight on the barbell set. LOL.

Hiya Coach! :happywave: glad you found us!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom