WW2 wreck diving, Norway (video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This weekend I had one of my best dives, ever. I didn't bring my camera since depth and other equipement made me decide not to bring another "thing" with me. I regret this very much, but hey, I did get my picture taken down there. -And now I received a video from the same wreck to share with you!

frankenwald_ror_lowres.jpg

Here I am at the rudder of DS Frankenwald, at about 120 ft. (Saturday, Sept. 23. 2006)

This ship ran aground in 1940. It's a German supply ship, about 380 ft long. It stands straight on gravel bottom at 120 ft, and the mast i still up, reaching all the way to only 20 ft of water, visible from surface position. It's more or less 95% intact. the strong currents keep it nice and clean, but at the same time makes diving a bit demanding. Marine life is aboundant, but the fish isn't visible as much in the video, since it was filmed in the coldest of winter. During our dive this weekend we had 55F at the bottom.

Video: http://www.tronderik.com/filmer/frankenvald.wmv (13 MB)

Photos: T.L. Lygren, Norway

See it and weep! :D :D :D

The video seems to be offline. Any chance that you can put it up again because i would really enjoy seeing it.

Sjassi:
The video seems to be offline. Any chance that you can put it up again because i would really enjoy seeing it.

It's not on my server, and it's not my video. But it's working fine from here. Try to save it to your hard disk before starting it.

(13 MB downloaded in 4 sec on my computer)

james croft:
Nice wreck in great shape.

Definitely a wreck I'm going back to see again! :D

(And I'm not even a wreck ferret but more into nature dives...)

What a beautiful dive. Finally got the video working :). Can you give directions from Denmark to the dive site :wink:

KOMPRESSOR:
During our dive this weekend we had 55F at the bottom.

nice vid! 55*F isn't too bad, i think i could hang with you guys. 120 feet is a bit deep, i've never done a deco dive, but i guess that might have to be done if you plan on spending any time at that depth. how long were you guys down there?

>JM<

toonchoon:
nice vid! 55*F isn't too bad, i think i could hang with you guys. 120 feet is a bit deep, i've never done a deco dive, but i guess that might have to be done if you plan on spending any time at that depth. how long were you guys down there?

>JM<

The best way to do this wreck is 28% nitrox on doubles, and perhaps a 50% mix for your deco. Although people do it on air all the time they don't get to see much of it. And it still takes two long dives to se most of it. It's clean, so trained divers can penetrate and swim through lots of places. the marine life is excellent due to tidal currents, which again leads me to the advice not going there on your own, but with the guys at Gulen Dykkesenter. They are great, and you'll have a blast all through the weekend there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom