Recommendations for dive operators for Silfra (Iceland)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

Have a few days in Iceland at the beginning of July and thinking about the well-known Silfra dive. I know there's mixed feelings out there about whether it's 'worth it,' but putting that aside - any recommendations of who to dive with?

I know Dive.is is the oldest shop, and Scuba Iceland is there as well - any experiences with these guys?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I may be a bit biased because I am doing my DM at Dive.IS right now :)

I was here as their customer in 2014 though and from that experience, I can really recommend them: Very customer focussed and experienced.

All the dive centres here are great though, you can't really do anything wrong!

Scuba.is has smaller groups. Seemed to be half the size when I was there.

I also went with Scuba.is and was quite happy, as they did seem to have smaller groups (though the dive.is group seemed quite happy, too). My group included a Dane who was going to do some ocean tech dives with scuba.is the following day, as well.

It's Silfra, it's something you really only do once anyway. The group size has limits on how many people can be in the fissure at once, so it's not that big a deal, 4 vs 6 vs 8 isn't that many people. It's a cool dive, but it's not like you're going to be getting a different dive by going with a different shop. They all have drysuits, they all have functional gear, they all have guides that will tell you to go left to get to the stairs so you don't swim past the exit and end up in the lake.

Realistically, throw an arrow at a dart board, either way you're going to get a short shallow dive through the fissure and into the lagoon.

I did mine with dive.is and have no complaints whatsoever.

I just did two dives at Silfra with Magmadive, and the owner used to work for dive.is. He didn't disparage them in any way and said they were a good bunch, but he wanted to do his own thing.

I had done the dry suit course 18 months ago but never used it. David at Magmadive gave me a great refresher in 5 minutes and I had no issues and in fact was a bit irritated I was so anxious about it.

Back
Top Bottom