Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeckyKagan

Contributor
Reaction score
Divers,

Hi, tune in to Discovery Channel's Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice that airs tonight/ August 24th 2012 @ 9pm est. It will also be re-airing saturday and throughout the week if you miss it! We were part of the Underwater Camera crew filming in the "refreshing" 27 degree water under 5ft of ice! It was a cool job...literally! It was amazing to see these guys dredging for gold and what they find will impress you!

It will air Friday's at 9pm for 5 weeks!

Becky

540401_10151112840508586_303131707_n.jpg

Just watched it, looks like a tough way to make a living. Who made more you or the gold divers?

A very interesting mix of personalities to say the least.

Break out some ice cream, turn up the AC, crawl under a cozy blanket tonight and tune into Discovery Channel at 9pm EST. Bering Sea Gold: Under the Ice episode #3 airs tonight 9/7/12

Dave and I were both underwater cameramen on the series. It was a coooool experience haha The crews were really awesome and so was the experience diving under more than 5ft of ice in 28 degree water. I'd say it was like a cave but it's not.

Tune in and check out what its like diving under ice for GOLD!
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/be...er-the-ice.htm

Becky

PS: If you missed the other 2 episodes or are out of the country you can get them on iTunes or watch http://dsc.discovery.com/tv-schedule....26588.43094.1

… It was amazing to see these guys dredging for gold and what they find will impress you!...

Oh it impressed me all right. I have never seen such incompetence concentrated in one place. Even the “experienced crew” can’t seem to keep their fuel tanks filled before their compressor and hot water system stops. Another guy walks away from the com-box after telling the audience how dangerous it. These guys don’t even tend the hose! I understand the need for a bit of drama but this is way over the top.

There is no way they are as incompetant as they are depicted in the TV show...

I have to agree that they are demonstrating how not to ice dive. Right off the bat, why aren't they wearing dry suits? Why are they complaining about 15'+ vis? Line handlers, backup divers? I find myself yelling at the TV.

I have to agree that they are demonstrating how not to ice dive. Right off the bat, why aren't they wearing dry suits? ...

To be fair, drysuits are far too delicate for the work and you can’t wear enough insulation for 8 hours in 28° F water — even if you could keep from punching it full of holes. They all used hot water, but only one group used an actual hot water suit with a bypass manifold and tubing in the suit to distribute the water. The rest just stuffed the supply hose in their wet suit.

Hot water suits used in commercial diving supplies 2½ GPM at 110° F to the hip-mounted manifold. That is the temperature after the loss getting the water to the diver. Commercial divers working in HeO2 will also heat the breathing gas when working in these temperatures since about 50% of our thermal loss is through respiration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom